Welcome To The Gameshow!

Everything started with a single email, that was sitting in my box, in which a kick-starter team for an interactive Tokyo Revengers visual novel, that was still in development, chose me to be part of their ever-so-ambitious project.

As any person with common sense still intact, I was highly skeptical of their offer. Not only did I never hear a single mention of their game prior to this conversation, but who in their right mind would ask a stranger on the internet to test trial their game?

I decided to ignore what I thought to be an obvious scam, but they were quick on giving me an update on the situation. The response mentioned how I got recommended for the job by a friend, in turn, they sent me a link to an Instagram account, that I did in truth perceive as an online friend.

"Did I get hacked by any chance?" This was my first speculation because it was too weird to accept that they wanted to hire me, because of a vague description from someone I never met in real life. However, curiosity quickly took over and I didn't shy away to question the team about the compensation for the work I would be doing.

They were fast with the replies, making me doubt it was a deliberate scam, unless I genuinely pissed someone off, at least enough for them to view me as a mortal enemy, that would deliberately seek out information about my interests.

"But that can't be true." Was the only thought that came across my mind. I was always trying to blend into the surroundings, being on my best behavior, never letting anyone get too close. So only my family could have had enough of a grudge to pull something like this, which was unlikely. Them researching my genuine interests? Laughable, they had better things to do, like complain about my chosen career path.

The terms of their contract were simple enough, spend 8 hours a week playing the game trying to spot the glitches, and informing the team about their existence. It sounded simple enough and I would get my first paycheck upon agreeing to the gig.

There were not many safety regulations on their part, actually everything felt so lax, that I wondered if I would get away with ghosting them after getting the money. So yes I did receive a payment right away after they acquired my bank details.

"They really trust me this much? I haven't even done any work for them." Was my presence so desired? They were also fast in sending the files of the game over.

"I surely will feel guilty if I don't do what I was asked for." I could perceive it as a side gig besides, who wouldn't want to play a game for their favorite franchise?

Upon seeing the loading screen, I got a vague sense of playing any other otome game in existence.

"Visual novel could be just romance." My speculation was correct because a character creation screen popped up, asking me to choose a Japanese name for my linking. I tried to type in the usual nickname I often used for games, but a message box tried to discourage me, by bribing me with full-voiced alternatives instead that could only be achieved by typing in a Japanese name.

"I guess I have to fully commit to it now." After picking up some options on the internet rather than scrolling through infinite pages of names inside the game, I finally settled down on something.

"Hibarayashi Michi." I nodded my head content with my choices and another screen presented itself.

"Distribute 10 points in the following categories." There were five of them. Intelligence, Luck, Agility, Endurance, and Strength. Which was also followed by a warning.

"Depending on your choices the gameplay will vary." Did it mean the romance route was different depending on which stats I chose?

"Will the villains also have their own routes?" Kisaki quickly came to mind.