Breaking new grounds

Ashley and her Machop finally make their way to Viridian City where Ashley hopes to earn her Earth Badge. As she stops outside its doors, she sees Gary coming out with an upset expression on his face.

"I hope you do a lot better than I just did, Ashley. Because that gym leader in there is not messing around." Gary said as he walked past the young girl.

Ashley heads into the Gym to challenge the Gym Leader, followed by her Machop. In the Gym, Ashley, supported by her Fighting-type, challenges the Gym Leader, who is shrouded in shadows, promising that she will win her tenth badge.

The Gym Leader accepts her challenge, and his guards announce the battle will consist of three Pokémon with no time limit. Ashley chooses Ivysaur and the Gym Leader responds by selecting Golem.

Bulbasaur evolved into an Ivysaur after a heated battle against a Hiker's Rhyhorn.

The Gym Leader commences with a Tackle attack, and Ashley responds in kind, ordering a Tackle from her Ivysaur. This sends Golem flying backwards into the wall, defeated.

The Gym Leader then chooses Kingler, and Ashley consults her Pokédex, which informs her that Kingler is the evolved form of Krabby. The Gym Leader resumes with a Crabhammer.

Ivysaur dodges the attack, but Ashley recalls him and chooses Growlithe. Ordering Growlithe to perform Take Down followed by Ember, Kingler is sent reeling amidst cheering from Ashley.

Growlithe's Growl is sufficient enough to beat Kingler. The Gym Leader emerges from the shadows, confidently announcing that he is not beaten yet, and he will use this battle to test his most powerful Pokémon. As he snaps his fingers, a guard presents him with a silver briefcase containing his Repeat Ball.

He takes the Repeat Ball out of the silver briefcase and sends out his powerful Pokémon, a Machamp. Ashley's Pokédex chimes in and identifies Machamp as Machop's final evolved form.

The Gym Leader offers to allow Ashley to use one more Pokémon if she is afraid of losing. Despite protesting that she isn't afraid of anything, Ashley recalls her Growlithe and sends out Squirtle.

The Gym Leader orders Machamp to use Karate Chop, striking Squirtle many times. As the blows land, Squirtle is given another beat down by the Superpower Pokémon.

"Squirtle, use Withdraw/Rapid Spin combination! Then follow it up with a Skull Bash!" Ashley said as Squirtle pulls all of its limbs into its shell and starts spinning like a disk, slamming into Machamp, causing severe damage to it.

Its Skull Bash was enough to knock out the Fighting-type, sealing the victory for Ashley. As Ashley and her Pokémon celebrate their victory, Giovanni, reveals himself to be the Leader of the Viridian Gym and presents the Earth Badge to Ashley as proof of defeating his three Pokémon.

As Ashley and her Machop continue their journey, she wonders if they will ever see the mysterious Pokémon that Gary was talking about, while Machop is only interested in his training sessions.

Realizing that they don't know where the Pokémon League is, they decide to head for Pallet Town to consult Professor Oak.