Second victory

Excited about winning her Boulder Badge, Ashley travels quickly to Cerulean City to battle for her Cascade Badge. For some reason, however, Machop is hesitant and unsuccessfully tries to convince the young girl to go to Vermilion City instead.

"I can't do this alone, buddy. You are my number one fan in this battle." Ashley said as she saw Machop smiling.

When Ashley and Machop enter Cerulean City, they see a big crowd of people surrounding a building. Unbeknownst to them, an evil criminal organization called Team Rocket Grunts had stolen a vacuum machine from the store overnight.

Ashley and Machop push through to the front, where they see Officer Jenny, who accuses them of being criminals. When Ashley proves her innocence, she lets them go and ushers the crowd away.

After that, they sit on a bench and Ashley asks Machop if any one of his former trainers took him to a gym battle. His only response was a small grunt.

Ashley heads to the Cerulean Gym with sheer determination. When Ashley reaches the Gym, she finds three sisters performing a synchronized swimming show for a lively crowd.

Ashley meets the girls backstage, finds out that they are the Gym Leaders, and challenges them to a battle. The girls, Lily, Daisy, and Violet, explain that their Pokémon are too tired to battle after they were finished with their performance.

Lily shows Ashley the trio's final Pokémon, a Goldeen. Misty, who was coming back from her daily fishing had saw her friend talking to her three sisters, decides to intervene and challenges Ashley to a battle.

As it turns out, Misty is herself a Cerulean Gym Leader as well, and also the youngest of The Sensational Sisters, but because she is so much younger than her three sisters, they call her a runt.

After Misty argues with her sisters, she challenges Ashley to an official Cerulean Gym battle, two Pokémon per side.

Ashley sends out Butterfree to battle Misty's Starmie.

Metapod evolved into a Butterfree while defending Ashley from an Aipom that tried to attack her.

When Ashley did not recognize Starmie, she used her Pokédex on it.

Ashley's Butterfree hits Starmie with a Tackle, and Starmie replies with several Water Guns. Butterfree's Stun Spore paralyzes Starmie temporarily, though it dives and washes the powder off. Ashley's Butterfree tries Sleep Powder, though Starmie dives once again.

Starmie performs several Tackles and eventually knocks Butterfree into the pool, causing him to lose the battle. After that, Misty sends out Staryu and Ashley sends out Pidgey.

Pidgey uses Whirlwind on Staryu, but it jumps into the water and attacks Pidgey. Pidgey uses Gust, causing Staryu to hit the wall and its red core to flash, with Misty becoming concerned about Staryu's energy wearing out.

"It's too weak to move, Pidgey! Use Wing Attack!" Ashley shouted to her Flying-type as Misty shouts for Staryu to dodge, but there wasn't enough time.

Pidgey's wings glow white and she strikes the Star Shape Pokémon with one of them as the Water-type's core was dark, signifying that it had been defeated.

Misty returned her Staryu with a sigh, and walked around the pool to congratulate her friend. She eventually gives Ashley the Cascade Badge in recognition of their battle.

Misty tries to argue with her sisters, but her sisters convince her that if Ashley had used a Pikachu she would have easily beaten her Water-type Pokémon.

Ashley and her Machop heads outside of the Gym as they head for Vermilion City.