A famous researcher

While Ashley is wondering through the forest with her Machop, she starts reminiscing about her accomplishments, but Machop reminds his trainer that she has a long way to go before achieving her goals.

They find themselves on a beach and notice a Krabby scurrying around on the sand. Ashley checks Krabby for its moves, and challenges it to a battle. She calls upon her Bulbasaur, the Seed Pokémon lunges at Krabby with a Tackle.

When Krabby dodges Bulbasaur's attack with little effort, Ashley throws a Poké Ball and catches it. When the Poké Ball is transferred to Professor Oak's lab, Ashley knows that Trainers can only carry a maximum of six Pokémon with them at a time.

Suddenly, Machop begins tugging on Ashley's jean shorts and looking at a distant object, alerting the young girl to look at a lighthouse on a cliff. Excited, they ran towards it.

By the time they arrive there, night has fallen and the long walk has made them exhausted. Ashley rings the bell, only to be greeted by an eerie ringing and a mysterious voice asking the trainer to identify herself.

After Ashley explains her situation and offers to cook for the lighthouse keeper, they are granted entrance. However, as the door swings open, they find there is no one to greet them.

Ashley asks for permission to use the lighthouse's phone, and is directed to a mysterious video phone near her. Ashley calls Professor Oak to ask about her newly caught Krabby.

As she picks up, Oak is cooking dinner, and Ashley is surprised to see her Krabby and Oddish getting along with each other. She becomes even more surprised when she sees how large it is compared to her Oddish.

Oak tells her that she is calling from Bill's Lighthouse, and that he is a very knowledgeable Pokémon researcher who knows more than Oak himself. Bill overhears the conversation, and accepts Professor Oak's request to give the young girl a crash course in Pokémon.

The lights turn on and a giant Kabuto appears, claiming to be the keeper of the lighthouse. Ashley and her Machop realize that the Kabuto is actually a costume made by Bill, who has been stuck in a Pokémon suit for hours. After Ashley helps Bill out of the costume, he explains that there are more than 150 known Pokémon species, but there is only one Pokémon he is searching for, which he claims is the largest Pokémon ever.

He says it is unique and that no one had ever laid eyes upon it. He takes the two up to the observation deck to overlook the ocean. He reveals that he heard a strange noise coming across the ocean from the Pokémon one night, but that it was the last time he ever heard it.

As Bill is reminiscing, the same sound is suddenly heard, and a giant Dragonite appears, rising from the ocean. As it comes closer to the lighthouse, Ashley and Machop were amazed by its giant appearance.

They were initially admired by its beautifully haunting sound. The Dragonite slowly lowered its head, bringing its gaze down to eye level. Ashley followed Bill's lead and reached out a hand, allowing the giant to feel out her extremity.

It was almost sunrise as it was time for the Pokémon to return to the ocean as it started walking away. In the morning, Bill seems to be at peace despite failing to learn more about the Pokémon and is grateful that he got to see it at all. Ashley and her Machop said their goodbyes and set out to continue their journey.