Electric Boogaloo

After two weeks of traveling, Ashley and her Machop have finally made it to Vermilion City, and they discover that the Pokémon Center is filled with Pokémon hurt during battles with Lt. Surge, the Vermillion City Gym Leader.

Ashley and Machop head to the Vermillion City Gym, where Lt. Surge is proud of his Raichu, a fierce Pokémon that has a personality very like its Trainer's.

"Raichu, a Mouse Pokémon of the Electric element. Raichu is the evolved form of Pikachu. It can shock with more than 100,000 volts, enough to render a Dragonite unconscious." The Pokédex said.

Lt. Surge's attitude is to evolve Pokémon as soon as possible. Ashley protests, claiming that there is more to a Pokémon battle than just evolving.

Lt. Surge's two subordinates in the Gym mock Machop, and the man himself is even crueler, calling Ashley a "baby".

Tired of listening to Surge's taunts, Ashley decides that she is ready to fight his Raichu. Lt. Surge accepts Ashley's challenge and the battle promptly begins.

"Bulbasaur, I choose you!" Ashley said as she calls out the Grass-type Pokémon. The two Pokémon begin with a Thunder Shock and Razor Leaf attack, but Raichu's is significantly stronger and does far more damage to Bulbasaur than Bulbasaur deals to Raichu.

Surge knows that Bulbasaur simply cannot stand up to Raichu's more powerful attacks and recommends that Ashley withdraw Bulbasaur.

However, when Ashley tells Bulbasaur to return, he refuses and charges again at Raichu. The resulting trade-off between Bulbasaur and his adversary leaves Bulbasaur severely damaged by a Mega Punch and Mega Kick from Raichu.

"Hang in there, Bulbasaur! Let's use Poison Powder!" Ashley shouted as Bulbasaur releases a sparkling purple powder with green sparkles in it from the bulb on his back, instantly poisoning Raichu.

However, Lt. Surge's Raichu was able to unleash a powerful Thunderbolt that defeats Bulbasaur easily. Ashley had recalled her Grass-type back and praises him.

"Clefairy, I choose you!" Ashley said as she sends out her Fairy-type Pokémon on to the battlefield.

The battle continues, and Ashley tells Clefairy to stick to their planned strategy. 

Lt. Surge uses the same strategy as last time, but Ashley orders Clefairy to dodge Raichu's heavy attacks, causing Raichu to give itself recoil damage from moves like Body Slam.

Ashley orders Clefairy to use Double Slap, as Clefairy slaps her opponent twice with her hands. Repeated Body Slam attempts from Raichu all miss completely, as Clefairy is simply too fast.

Ashley reveals the strategy: because Lt. Surge evolved his Pikachu into a Raichu too fast, it never had a chance to learn the speed attacks it can only learn as a Pikachu.

Lt. Surge, growing aggravated, orders Raichu to fill the entire Gym with a vicious Thunderbolt attack. Raichu rips up the arena floor and even blows out all the windows around the arena.

At first, Lt. Surge is convinced he has won, but the smoke clears, revealing the unharmed Clefairy standing inside of a light-blue barrier.

Lt. Surge orders another Thunderbolt, but Raichu is unable to muster up the electricity for it, due to the effects of Bulbasaur's Poison Powder.

Ashley orders a Pound, to which Lt. Surge responds by ordering a Take Down. Ashley's Clefairy manages to strike first, socking Raichu in the stomach before sending Raichu into the wall with a Disarming Voice, knocking out her opponent and winning the match.

Conceding defeat, Lt. Surge awards Ashley with the Thunder Badge. He no longer refers to Ashley as "baby", and Raichu even shows kindness and respect for Ashley as well.

After Ashley and her Pokémon celebrate, Ashley and Machop walk off, with the young girl realizing that she has three badges in her badge case.