Who you gonna call?

Ashley realizes that she must battle and collect a Ghost-type Pokémon in order to defeat the gym leader of Saffron City.

In search of a ghost Pokémon, she heads immediately for a tower in Lavender Town where they are said to dwell.

As Ashley and Machop are hiking, the fog intensifies and Ashley suggests that she should send out Growlithe and Bulbasaur.

The group arrives in Lavender Town and reaches the Pokémon Tower by dark. Machop and Bulbasaur, scared by the tower, want Ashley to go in alone.

"I know that you are afraid, but we have to stick together and see things through." Ashley said.

As Ashley and her Pokémon enter the tower, the door closes on its own, putting them in darkness. Ashley sends out Charmander to light the room with a Flamethrower, though the fire Pokémon quickly tires out.

Ashley finds a candle and Charmander uses Flamethrower to light the candle.

Ashley and her Pokémon find a hole in the floor and hear strange noises echoing as they explore.

Ashley checks her Pokédex for more details, and it reveals that ghost Pokémon are still shrouded in mystery.

In another portion of the tower, a Haunter and Gengar are watching TV, laughing at a comedy show broadcast.

Gastly comes into the room and they all laugh. After Ashley and her Pokémon enter a larger room, the lights suddenly turn on, revealing a dining room with a fully-set table.

Ashley's attention turns to a dangling rope, with an instructional note attached.

She quickly runs up and pulls it, which releases confetti and a welcome sign.

Suddenly, Growlithe spots Haunter behind Ashley and freaks out, but Ashley misses it.

Haunter then appears in front of her and spooks her. Curious, Ashley checks her Pokedex, though it has no data on Haunter.

Ashley sends Charmander, but the ghost Pokémon disappears and reappears behind Ashley, tapping her shoulder and causing her to freak out.

Ashley has Charmander use Leer. They both pull off fierce looks, but Charmander suddenly makes a funny face, making Haunter laugh.

Ashley scolds Charmander, though as it is distracted, Haunter Licks him and the Fire Pokémon, paralyzed by the effects of the Lick, begins to shake.

As a result, Ashley recalls Charmander back to his Poké Ball while Haunter pulls another funny expression.

"Let's see, Haunter is weak against Ground-types, its own type, Psychic-types, and Dark-types. But let's see if Squirtle can handle this one!" Ashley said as she grabbed Squirtle's Poké Ball and threw it into the air, letting Squirtle come out with a grunt.

Haunter uses Shadow Punch to knock Squirtle into submission.

Squirtle then propels itself away from Haunter's Lick, and while using Withdraw, it uses Hydro Pump to become airborne and hits Haunter hard.

Ending the battle with a Skull Bash, Ashley quickly gets out a Great Ball and threw it at the semi-conscious Gas Pokémon, successfully capturing it.

The pair leaves the tower the next day, with Ashley holding her Great Ball in her hands.

She decides to call out her newly-caught Haunter and introduce herself to it. After enjoying their battle, Haunter decides to join Ashley and Machop.