Garden of Erika

As Ashley and her Pokémon arrive at Celadon City, everyone but Ashley notices a wonderful smell in the air, and Bulbasaur runs off.

Ashley finds him with his face against a store window, noticing several customers inside. Machop thinks Bulbasaur is wasting time and proceeds to leave, but Ashley and Growlithe are inside the perfume store, admiring the variety of aromas.

Ashley asks about the cost, but Machop steps inside and urges his trainer not to waste her money. "Alright, I'm not going to buy any. But next time I will." She said as she chuckled at Machop's blushing.

The female manager walks up to Ashley and introduces herself, Ashley finds out that Erika is not only a Gym Leader, but she is also a store manager as well.

Ashley also introduces herself and challenges Erika to a battle. Erika accepts the challenge and sets up a three-on-three battle.

Ashley sends out Growlithe while Erika sends out Tangela, which prompts Ashley to check her Pokédex. Growlithe attacks with Fire Fang, but Tangela uses Constrict to shut his muzzle and pulls him closer before following up with a Poison Powder, poisoning Growlithe.

However, Growlithe fights through the toxins and responds with a Take Down as Tangela responds with a Double-Edge. The battle ended in a draw for both Pokémon as Ashley recalls Growlithe and Erika recalls her Tangela back.

Ashley considered using Raticate, but knowing from experience how strong the Mouse Pokémon is, she changes her mind and sends out Charmander instead.

Erika sends out Weepinbell and opens with a Razor Leaf attack. Charmander uses Flamethrower to stop the attack and send it back as fireballs.

Charmander follows it up with a Mega Punch to knock out Weepinbell. Erika compliments Ashley's handling of her Pokémon's battling skills as she sends out Gloom.

It releases an indigo powder from the flower on its head, putting Charmander to sleep as Ashley recalled her Fire-type back into his Poké Ball.

Ashley tries to decide on her next Pokémon, eventually she does come to a decision and sends out Pidgeotto. She is not optimistic, but Pidgeotto is confident that she will win.

"I'm ready whenever you are!" Ashley said as she saw her gigantic-sized Pidgeotto land directly in front of her opponent. "Are you sure that's not a Pidgeot?" Erika asked as she was impressed by Pidgeotto's sheer size.

"No, she is a Pidgeotto. I've had her since she was a Pidgey." Ashley said. Ashley asks Erika why Gloom does not emit its horrible smell. Erika points out that as long as Gloom feels safe, it will not smell.

Erika recounts that she first met Gloom, her first Pokémon and motivation to become a Grass-type Gym Leader, when she was a child after she ran into a wild Grimer. Gloom came to her defense and used its stench to send Grimer scurrying.

The battle continues as Gloom responds with a Magical Leaf as Pidgeotto explodes off of the ground, easily avoiding Gloom's long-ranged assault.

"Pidgeotto, use Gust!" Ashley ordered as Pidgeotto flaps her wings at a high speed and creates a gusts of wind that blew the Weed Pokémon away. Gloom is down, but not out, and responds with a Poison Powder.

Gloom released a sparkling purple powder with green sparkles in it from the flower on its head. Pidgeotto became poisoned within seconds.

Erika ordered her Gloom to use Magical Leaf as Pidgeotto tries to dodge, but she stops halfway, grimacing on account of the toxins in her body.

Pidgeotto gets struck by Gloom's Magical Leaf and plummets to the ground. She struggles to get back up, flapping her wings and creating a swirling whirlwind at the Grass-type. "Petal Blizzard!" Erika ordered as Gloom releases multiple shining, pink petals at the Bird Pokémon.

"Pidgeotto, hurry and get out of there!" Ashley shouted, but Pidgeotto is not quick enough and gets sucked up in Gloom's Petal Blizzard. In her desperation, Ashley tries to recall her Flying-type back to her Poké Ball.

Suddenly, Pidgeotto is enveloped by a brightly colored light while slowly growing bigger.

Pidgeotto's evolution induced a large explosion of energy that breaks the typhoon of Gloom's Petal Blizzard.

Ashley scans her unusually larger than normal bird Pokémon with her Pokédex as Pidgeot flaps her wings and releases a powerful gust of wind that forms into a tornado of wind around the Weed Pokémon.

Pidgeot would let out a victory cry as she was standing over her defeated opponent. Out of kindness for defeating her Grass-types, Erika awarded the Rainbow Badge to Ashley.