First gym badge

Ashley and Machop arrive at the outskirts of Pewter City. As Ashley takes a rest on some rocks, she and her Machop meet a mysterious man named Flint, who sells rocks for a living. Flint escorts the two to the Pokémon Center, where Ashley is surprised to encounter Nurse Joy again. She explains that she is the Viridian City Joy's older sister.

She directs Ashley's attention to a poster promoting a tournament called the Pokémon League Championship and she decides to sign up. However, before she can enter, she needs to defeat eight Pokémon Gym Leaders and earn a Gym Badge from each as proof of her victory. Flint walks in at this point and tells Ashley about Pewter City's Gym Leader, Brock.

He is openly skeptical of Ashley's chances of winning and laughs scornfully at the very thought of it. Over a meal, Ashley goes over her strategy for beating Brock's Rock-type Pokémon in her head. Once she was satisfied with it, she walked off with a smile.

Ashley stops by the Pokémon Center again to pick up her healed team before making her way to the Pewter Gym. When she arrives, the Gym is dark, though she soon meets the Gym Leader Brock, and challenges him to a battle.

Brock questions Ashley, and she replies that she has been traveling with her Pokémon for a couple of weeks. With a snap of his fingers, Brock transforms the Gym into a rocky field and turns on the lights.

In the Pewter Gym, battles are two against two. Ashley begins the match with Growlithe while Brock starts off with a Geodude. A Geodude, which is a Rock/Ground-type cried out a challenge as a Growlithe, a Fire-type Pokémon growled in fierce determination.

"Geodude, knock back that Growlithe with a Tackle!" Brock demanded his Pokémon. Geodude gave a loud cry as he started spinning like a rolling ball and moved at a high speed and made its way to slam into Growlithe. "Growlithe, dodge it and use Ice Fang!" Ashley yelled out to her best friend.

Growlithe gave her an answered bark and ran forward and used his hind legs to jump mid-air as his mouth became covered in light blue, icy energy and bit down on Geodude's head. Brock looked on impressed that Ashley worked out her Growlithe's weakness and turned it into an advantage instead. "Geodude, use Rock Throw!" Brock ordered his Pokémon.

Geodude grunted to his trainer in affirmation and used his arms and moved them to the ground and started shoving large rocks in Growlithe's direction. "Growlithe, dodge it and use Fire Fang!" Ashley said to her partner. Growlithe gave his trainer a bark and sped his way through the rocks that started tumbling nearly on top of him, fire coating his mouth as he gave Geodude a growl and launched a bite on the Rock/Ground-type's arm who gave out a loud screech of pain and struggled to get the Growlithe off of him but the Puppy Pokémon just viciously continued to hold on while tightening his teeth around the Rock/Ground-type's arm, not letting go until he felt the other Pokémon suddenly felt limp and finally stopped struggling and let go of the arm and gave Ashley a happy bark when Geodude fell forward in a dead-like feint with swirls in its eyes.

Brock returned his Geodude just as Ashley did the same with her Growlithe and hung up her Poké Ball back on her belt. "One more Pokémon, I gotta say, Ashley, you certainly did a good job preparing your Pokémon for this gym battle, but let's see you beat my Onix!" Brock yelled out as his rather big Onix as it gave off as a slightly scary challenging roar that shook the ground a bit.

Ashley gave Brock a smirk. "I guess you just didn't think of how I'd train my Pokémon, but did you ever think there'd be a surprise Brock? Go, Poseidon!" She yelled out as her Gyarados gave out a loud roar that shocked Brock.

He was surprised that a beginning trainer actually caught a Gyarados and also have it obey you during a battle, the fact that this girl before him has just that, well this will be a tough one to beat, he thought to himself.

"Looks like it's going to be one of those starting battles of the giants for my Onix and Ashley's Gyarados." Brock said.

At first, it took super-effective damage from Scald, but was able to withstand it by using Harden and struck back with a Tackle, both trainers knew that the first one to land a critical hit on their opponent would win.

"Poseidon! Let's wrap this up with a Hydro Pump!" Ashley said as her Water/Flying-type blasts a powerful jet of water out of his mouth at the Rock Snake Pokémon, defeating it and giving Ashley the victory.

Brock recalls his Onix and congratulates Ashley on her victory before awarding her with the Boulder Badge. That evening, Ashley and her Machop travel on the road out of Pewter City. Ashley states that she is glad to have won her first Gym battle at the Pewter Gym against the Rock-type specialist.