First victory

Ashley was satisfied with her Pokémon. Growlithe was doing a fantastic job boosting up his speed, defense, and attacks. He even learned a new move that she taught him through her Pokédex, which is called Ice Fang.

It would help immensely in the Pewter City Gym. Poseidon was getting very close to evolving which meant, as soon as she taught him Scald, they would be more than ready for the gym since Pidgey learned Steel Wing and mastered the move.

Ashley jumped when she suddenly notice a kid around her age running towards her with a Poké Ball in hand. "Hey, you wanna battle?" He asked. Ashley looked at Growlithe who nodded at him as he stepped forward. "I'll battle you." She said.

He grabbed a Poké Ball out of his belt and threw it in the air and a Rattata came out. "Alright Rattata, use Tackle attack!" He shouted. "Dodge and use Ember, Growlithe." She calmly but loud enough for her starter to hear.

Growlithe followed the command, bending his back legs for a harder push, effectively getting out of the way of the Tackle and shot out multiple fire balls at the Rattata who screeched at being scorched.

The kid across from her growled at his Pokémon's pain and shouted, "Rattata, use Hyper Fang!" Ashley gasped in shock. Rattata froze and turned to glare at his trainer. "Your Rattata is too young to know that move. It cannot use it." Ashley said in a curt tone as she carefully watched the kid's reaction. He was glaring at her, hands fisted into a clinch. Apparently, with her having a Growlithe on her team, he knew he was going to loose, he wanted to prevent that.

"Fine, how bout you battle two of my Pokémon at once." He said. Ashley gave him an incredulous look. "Are you crazy?!" She said angrily. He smirked at her. "Are you admitting defeat then?" He said mockingly.

Ashley growled and looked at Growlithe. He gave her a determined look and turned towards Poseidon who she had almost forgotton was still present. She turned back to the kid before her. "Alright fine, bring your other Pokémon out, we can have a double battle, I'll be using my Poseidon, meaning Magikarp." She answered him.

He just looked at her and then started laughing. "Oh come on, are you serious? A Magikarp? man whatever, this will be easy. Come on out Pidgeotto!" Ashley gave out a look of alarm at the Bird Pokémon that came out. It was a bit big, more normal than necessary for their species of Pokémon, but she looked closer, it didn't look good, no muscle as far as her eyes could see. So combined with a strategy and strength, it's possible for them to beat the arrogant kid and his Pokémon.

"Alright, lets do this guys. Growlithe, use Ember and Bite on that Rattata, Poseidon, use Splash and give that Pidgeotto and Tackle, full power!" She said sternly. The Pokémon started moving as one, her Growlithe jumping up into the air and shooting out multiple fire balls hitting the Rattata at once and moved in close and clamped his jaws around the Rattata's neck.

The Rattata cried out in pain and due to the power of the Ember and Bite, fainted, swirls in its eyes. Poseidon, flapped around a bit in the water and used his tail to jump into the air and rushed at the Bird Pokémon and hit it with a hard attack that made the Pidgeotto a little daze for about a second.

The dazed look didn't last long however so the Bird Pokémon immediately up high in the air out of both Poseidon and Growlithe's reach.

"Pidgeotto, use Gust!" He shouted. The Bird Pokémon before them made to move its wing, hard. Ashley nearly gasped in shock at how the wind of Gust looked so powerful when the Pidgeotto didn't look like it.

"Must have been its wing he was working on instead its built." She thought. "Hang in tough guys, Growlithe I want you to dodge then use the move you've been working on the last week, use Ice Fang. Magikarp, use a Splash to get in the air and give it a power Tackle!" Both Pokémon moved in harmony making the Pidgeotto frustrated at the speed they were going. Growlithe was moving around on the ground with his mouth becoming covered in light blue, icy energy and the Fish Pokémon was under the water, presuming to make some force behind his Splash to jump higher.

Both Pokémon lunged and Pidgeotto managed to dodge Poseidon's Tackle but took a strong hit from Growlithe's Ice Fang, making it screech in pain. Ashley gritted her teeth together in thought. The air is what the Pidgeotto excelled in, but other than the ground, well it would turn the battle around in her favor. She just had to get it on the ground somehow. She looked at her Pokémon closely.

Growlithe was breathing a bit, huffing in exertion but as thanks to training the last week, he was doing fine. Her Poseidon looked as though it wasn't tired as much, probably had to do with being so close to evolving and had much more experience than Growlithe that this must be a bit easier to handle. Now, if Poseidon had evolved during the battle, the kid before her would have to rethink everything. She just had to get the Pidgeotto to attack in their favor. Both of her Pokémon looked to her and nodded, they were ready for what she had planned.

"Growlithe, use Ember and spread it throughout the air like a tidal wave, Poseidon, full blown Tackle, use Splash to get yourself high into the air, full power!" She said firmly.

The kid before her was panicking to himself, if they continued attacking as one and keep hitting on target, he would loose, be humilated, he could not let that happen, he then looked to the Magikarp flapping around uselessly in the water. Why she had that Pokémon, he had no clue, they were weak, only useful to fullfil the stomach of the bigger more stronger Pokémon. Now, if he got rid of one Pokémon on her side, the battle would be easier on his Pokémon, his Pidgeotto was getting real worn out. "Pidgeotto, attack that Magikarp, get rid of it!" He shouted.

The Bird Pokémon did as told, it flapped its wings and took dive down the water with it's claws outstretched, effectively snatching the Fish Pokémon and flew in the air about 50 feet in the air, over the ground instead of the water.

Ashley clinched her hands in fear for her Poseidon. She wanted to call off the battle but she wanted to help her Pokémon win it but it wasn't worth getting her Fish Pokémon severely hurt in the process. Just as she was getting ready to call off the battle, her Poseidon bellowed out loud as the Bird Pokémon let him go, falling and falling towards the ground at a fast rate and her Fish Pokémon suddenly started glowing brightly.

All over and he started to get bigger, tail getting longer and she grinned in relief, her Poseidon evolved, just in time to save himself from crushing into the ground. Poseidon landed on the ground neatly with a thud, the glow leaving his body as he roared out loud at his opponent.

The kid before them shivered at the equally large Gyarados in fear. He totally forgot that Magikarp evolved into this Pokémon. How did she get one so close to it's evolution without using the proper fishing rod he would never know, he knew though that this battle is now over for sure. Ashley smirked at her opponent across from her. "Now, lets finish this battle guys, Poseidon, use Bite, Growlithe jump and use Ice Fang." She said.

Both of her Pokémon complied to her order. Moving as one with Poseidon biting the Bird Pokémon in its wings, making it screech in pain and falling slightly from the air. Growlithe's mouth became covered in light blue, icy energy, and started running towards the Pidgeotto at a breakneck speed and bit down on its neck, knocking it out, basically ending the battle for them.

Ashley grinned happily at her first battle. She ran to her Pokémon and hugged Poseidon who purred loudly at her affections. Growlithe was next to her feet sitting, huffing with a proud grin. "You guys did it, our very first battle and won. I'm so proud of you two." She said happily. She was shocked for a minute when she heard a frustrated groan and turn to see the kid she battled before had returned his Pidgeotto and was getting ready to leave.

He stopped suddenly and turned his head to face her, she could see his brown eyes glaring at her. "You may have won, but there will be other battles where you could fail your Pokémon for sure, then you'll see what it would be like to be humiliated." He said coldly, ignoring her Pokémon growling at him warningly and left the field before they could say anything else.

Ashley shrugged her shoulders and turned to her Pokémon. "Alright guys, after seeing how well you did in our first battle, it's time to up our training the next week before we finally go meet our gym battle in Pewter City. Hopefully along the way we could catch more Pokémon, if we do, I want you two to help out by helping train them in speed and strength where I won't be able to achieve. Right now, we'll take a break and then by the week is over, we'll head on to Viridian City to rest and restore our supplies. We ready?" She said, her tone firm but excited. Both of her Pokémon roared in agreement to her plans.