Chapter 7: A Small Change Within

Sebastian's hand remained steady in Hale's despite the turmoil within him. He brought his free hand up to his face, roughly sweeping away the emotion that dared to surface, letting out a low grunt.

"Hale, do you want me to remove it?" He perfunctorily asked. 

"What do you mean? Why do you look so scared? Is something wrong with this one?" 

Sebastian pursed his lips, neither agreeing nor disagreeing.

Hale looked doubtfully at her wrist device. The man's advice wouldn't be so urgent without good reason—something Sebastian would understand, considering the device's role at the academy and its years with her. Curious about his reaction, she still kept quiet, not wanting to damage the trust just starting to build.

"You know what, let's just forget it--" 

"Okay... When will you remove it?"

Sebastian gazed at Hale, startled by her quick agreement, his eyes betraying his shock. He had expected her to refuse... perhaps he didn't truly understand Hale after all. As she broke from the pattern of his memories, a foreign weight settled on his chest, constricting his breath with its intensity—a discomfort knotted with the very trust he'd long craved yet never known.

"If it's possible, right now," he said, unconfident. 

Hale laughed, poking Sebastian on his shoulder with a playful grin. "What? Why do you look so timid right now, sir Aires? Are you scared?" 

Sebastian wryly smiled and glanced away. 

A soft chuckle escaped Hale as she admired Sebastian's profile, coaxing an involuntary cough from him in embarrassment.

"I'll do the operation in the bathroom. Is that okay with you?" 

Instead of replying, she pulled Sebastian to the bathroom and locked the door. 

"You can sit on the sink. I will prepare the sterile instruments. We'll numb your wrist with local anesthesia and stop blood flow from your elbow for safety. We must preserve a sterile field, so I'll set a drape. A small aperture on the side allows your arm through without exposing you to the sight of blood or the incision." 

Sebastian talked while tapping on the marbled sink. It was wide enough for Hale to sit on it, but she apparently couldn't jump on the surface. Sebastian looked at her, confused, but still excused himself as he grabbed her waist to hoist her on the counter, and her hands grabbed his arms for balance. Sebastian didn't understand why Hale was kneading her waist but guessed it might be due to his improper lifting technique. He made a mental note to look into that later. Then, gradually preparing large equipment and tools, he readied decontaminated sterile drapes after Hale had inserted her arm inside for the Holowrist to begin its work.

Sebastian drew the curtain closed with a decisive motion and set to work. The Holowrist, firmly attached to the skin, housed a microchip underneath its interface.

His every action was methodical, ensuring precision in the task at hand. He had halted the blood flow to Hale's hand and administered a precise, small dose of local anesthesia, being especially careful to avoid any excess. Before the procedure, he had made careful calculations to ensure the correct dosage.

It was scary to operate on another human. After all, the only person he had been operating on was himself. 

Sebastian felt compelled to act. The thought of leaving Hale with a dangerous implant unsettled him; he wouldn't be at peace unless he intervened. Once he arrived at the academy, he would remove these devices from the students little by little without incurring the suspicions of the higher echelons of the academy. Sebastian was sure his pursuer had strong ties to the High Order Academy. The evidence indicated that the man wasn't only involved but held substantial influence.

Sebastian deftly disconnected the device from Hale's skin, employing nanotechnology to prevent further damage to her skin. Although he did his best, a pre-existing scar, not fully healed, remained. 

He intended to address the scar once he removed the microchip to correct the healing of her skin.

Sebastian verified the precision of his devices before delicately cutting into the skin above the microchip. Thankfully, the microchip was encased in a protective membrane, preventing white blood cells from recognizing and attacking it as an invader. This isolation helped avoid a potential immune response that could have complicated the situation. He was grateful for the meticulous work of the ones who operated on her. 

After removing the microchip, Sebastian stitched the incision along natural skin lines for minimal scarring. He chose bioabsorbable sutures designed to hold the wound securely until it was time for them to be absorbed naturally by the body's enzymes.

Sebastian carefully treated the collagen within Hale's wrist scar to promote proper healing. Following the procedure, he cleansed the suture site, carefully removing residual blood. Sebastian then applied fresh gauze, securing it with medical tape for protection. With the area tidy and clear, he dismantled the tent and thoroughly cleaned and stored his equipment. 

As Sebastian carefully put away his tools after the delicate procedure, he noticed Hale had fallen into a deep sleep, aided by the anesthesia. Later, as its effects dissipated, she would undoubtedly begin to feel the discomfort from where the incision was.

Sebastian gently placed Hale's wrist in an arm sling to minimize swelling and support healing. He lifted her, ensuring her comfort, and transported her to the bed. He carefully positioned her right arm to hang from a string tied to a steadfast pole he erected, assisting with elevation and recovery.

He ensured the bedroom temperature was comfortable for Hale's recovery, then returned to the bathroom for another matter. He examined the microchip attached to a device designed to sustain the life of the surrounding membrane sitting on a metal tray. 

If the membrane died, it would release a signal to inform them of Hale's location. It would also release a signal to the device stuck on the skin to administer a liquid to preserve everything in the 'corpse' for another set of experimentation. 

Whatever the reason they said to the students, it was clear from Hale's reaction to his question that they were getting deceived. 

Happy reading!

© to the original owner of the photo