"You're doing a mistake," Shadow scoffed in response and brought his knees to his chest while hugging them tightly and resting his chin on top of them. His ears were in flat position and overall he looked pretty sad. It ached Sonic to see him like this and lifting his hand he tried to reach out for him, but hesitated as he paused the motion in midway, unsure of what the other's reaction might be to a physical contact. He has never before dared to touch him, but now Shadow really looked like he needed some comfort and Sonic wanted to make him feel better at any cost.

"Be it the best mistake ever then?" he said carefully, keeping his hand in the air, the urge in him growing stronger with each passing second. Shadow's heart nearly stopped beating as the hybrid froze and got flustered, feeling his face heat up in reaction to the words leaving the azure hedgehog's mouth just seconds ago. 'The best mistake ever', did he just now become Sonic's best mistake ever? What does that even mean? He grew confused and feeling a sudden touch on his shoulder he tensed up and bristled his quills in defensive manner, which made Sonic rather remove his hand in a hasty motion, the azure male hoping, that the hybrid won't vanish away.

"L-Leave me alone," Shadow groaned, trying to sound menacing, but his shaky voice betrayed him, as it revealed the true emotion now flowing through his body. Sadness. He felt sad and lonely. Yet.. he didn't know how to chase it away or how to express it properly. Sonic gulped, a little nervous, taking a few deep breaths he then prayed to not get punched too hard by the ebony male before scooting close to him and throwing his arms around him in silent comfort, which Shadow now needed the most.

He felt the other's body tensing up and a few black-red quills prickling his body, but he just clenched his teeth together and rather suffered through the pain than leaving Shadow alone. The ebony hybrid himself was surprised and shocked, that even his spiky exterior wasn't strong enough to scare the azure hedgehog away from him and finally... for the first time, he let all his inner pain out, allowing himself to sob heavily in Sonic's arms he even adjusted his body to burry his face into the other's shoulder and hold onto him tightly while releasing all the hidden stress and pain he had to keep in for so long.

"Shhh... just.. cry, Shad..." Sonic whispered to the black ear as he held Shadow close to his chest, not caring about the little injuries from the sharp quills - which the other now finally forced down to not prickle him any further - as he also softly traced shapes on Shadow's back to comfort him the best he could. He was probably the only mobian in Seaside Island, who never judged him for anything and saw him in different light. Heck, he could even see through the hard steel wall Shadow built around his heart to stay safe and unharmed. But with kindness involved, there was another way how Shadow could let someone in without getting hurt in the process. Sonic was showing him this alternate option by offering him the comforting embrace and just quietly being there for him without judgements.

Yes, Sonic was often a cocky hedgehog, usually proud on the outside and hiding certain feelings behind his positive or sassy attitude, similarly like Shadow, yet he was also deeply caring and often knew how to help. The only difference between him and Shadow was simple, Shadow turned his emotions into anger, while Sonic rather laughed things off. They were like two sides of the same coin, like Moon and Sun, like day and night. Polar opposites. But.. it is said, that opposites attract, right?

About one hour later, Shadow finally fully calmed down while staying in Sonic's embrace for the whole time and now backing away he was about to leave, only to get held back by Sonic, who gripped his wrist tightly, refusing to simply let him go wherever he desired at the moment.
"Hold it, Shadow, where are you going?" he asked the ebony hedgehog, mainly to make sure, that he won't do something stupid.
"Home," was the only word leaving Shadow's mouth as the hybrid tugged on Sonic's hand, trying to pry his wrist away from his grip. Failing miserably.
"Okay, but... please, promise me, that you'll be fine," Sonic stood up and looked at his companion with serious expression on his face.

"I will. Let me go now, before I make you! And I swear, it'll hurt a lot!" Shadow hissed at him, putting up the wall around his heart again, almost as if his crying session never happened. If it wasn't for the wet spot on Sonic's shoulder, it would be believable.
"Shadow, please...," Sonic lowered his ears and gasped, when he got pushed backwards by the other, which caused him fall on the ground and finally release Shadow's wrist.
"You tell anyone about this and I'll destroy you!" Shadow growled at him coldly before vanishing to thin air.
"Much for me being pathetic, huh?" Sonic scoffed now in slight anger flowing through his body as he stood up again and rushed back to the village to hopefully hangout with some of his friends instead, keeping the meeting with Shadow to himself.

"What happened to you, Sonic?" Amy asked the blue hedgehog once he arrived to the village and met the female by a library. She carried some books in her arms, most likely borrowing them, so she could have something to do during the calm evenings before sleep.
"Tripped over a root and fell onto a small puddle, hehe," Sonic made up a quick excuse about why there is a wet spot on his shoulder and tiny injuries on his chest. Amy seemed to believe him, much to his aching heart.
"Oh Sonic, be careful next time. Glad to see you're fine overall," she replied kindly and started walking towards her shack with Sonic keeping himself next to her.
"Need a help?" he asked her, subtly changing the topic as he held his arms out for her to give him the books.
"Oh, that's nice of-"

"I've got ya!" the red echidna suddenly appeared behind them and took the books from Amy with ease while smiling proudly, happy to be physically strong enough to help anyone around with the heavy stuff. Amy gasped at first before giggling, while Sonic crossed his arms arms and sighed.
"Wow, I've never read this book!" Knuckles exclaimed while looking at the book on the very top of the pile, not realizing, that he was 'reading' the title upside down.

"Knuckles, you can't even read in general," Sonic said honestly as he looked up at him.
"Yeah, but I can learn, right?" Knuckles said innocently while smiling as he let the book be and just carried the pile all the way to Amy's shack. There he set the pile on her table and took his leave.
"I'll be working out, Sonic, you wanna join me?" he then asked the blue hedgehog, who actually didn't feel like working out today.
"I'll pass, sorry, pal," the blue hedgehog replied while shaking his hand and Knuckles nodded in understanding.
"Alright, see ya," he waved the both hedgehogs goodbye before leaving.

Amy looked at Sonic with surprised expression on her face, but then she narrowed her eyes suspiciously.
"Sonic... is there something going on, that I need to know of?" she asked him while looking at him from head to toe, silently analyzing him.
"Huh? No, of course not! Why are you asking?" he got taken aback by the sudden question and now felt nervous, what if Amy suspects something?
"I mean, you keep saying, that you're busy with something and spend less time with us, so.. I am a little worried. You know you can talk to me, right?" she explained her suspicions about him, at first thinking, that Sonic is going through some depressions or some difficult stage of the life cycle. And the scarf around his neck was also another clue leading her to such conclusion.

"I know, Amy. But I assure you, everything is fine," Sonic gave her a soft smile, trying his best to convince her, but Amy didn't really seem to fully believe him, as she was tense all the time.
"Hmm.. if you say so," she resignated in the end, dropping the topic for now as she rather offered him some dinner, which he gladly accepted, not realizing, that he was gone for a few hours, when he was spending the time with Shadow.