'Ah, I am currently only taking one pupil.' he said

He gave me a quick look of disgust before looking back at the young clan members with their sons.

'But Master-' I began

'One pupil!' he said sternly

I gritted my teeth and looked at Kazuha as he smiled and spoke to one of the young girls there. One pupil, huh? Fine then! I'll make sure you have one pupil, and that'll be me!

Mei's POV

I had come to see Master Nakamura praise his students. One of them was my little Kurai. I smiled to myself.

'Hi,' I heard a male voice say, and I flinched. 'Oh s-sorry, did I startle you? Sorry ahah.'

I turned to see a young boy my age. He had soft brown eyes and brown hair. He was kinda cute, if I was being honest. I blushed a bit.

'Hi, I'm Hayashi Haruhiro. Nice to meet you.' he said. 'Say...I've never seen you around.'

'Hello, I-I'm Yamamoto Mei.' I said, 'My f-I mean, I usually stay at home.'

'Nice to meet you, Mei.' he said. 'So what brings you here?'

'My younger brother is Master Nakamura's pupil.'

'Oh really! My best friend and I were his pupils.'

'Is that so?'

'Yup, I beat that Bitchless Cat Whisperer easily.'

'Bitchless Cat Whisperer?' I asked with a light chuckle

'He's known as Kaedehara Tomodachi.' he mumbled

'Oh, I se-' I began when I heard screams

My eyes widened as I saw Kurai attack Kazuha with a delusion. Oh, archons, what are you doing, Kurai? Kazuha was weaponless and dodging his attacks to the best of his ability. I could tell that he was caught by surprise as well.

'Kurai, what are you doing!' Kazuha yelled

'Making sure Master has only one pupil!' he yelled, burning his hand

'ARGH!' Kazuha yelled, grasping his hand in pain

'Yes! This is my moment! FINALLY!' Kurai yelled

Kazuha dodged and tripped Kurai before he ran and ripped the delusion out of Kurai's hand.

'You're a coward, Kurai, attacking your opponent behind their back.' Kazuha said as he held his hand in pain

'I'LL KILL YOU!' he screamed before trying to pounce on him.

Luckily, he was stopped by Master Nakamura, who looked enraged at Kurai. He was about to strike him before I ran in between the two.

'Mei! What are you doing!?' Haruhiro yelled

'NO! MASTER NAKAMURA, THIS IS MY FAULT!' I yelled

'What did you say, girl?' he responded

'I-It was my fault Kurai attacked him.' I said quickly, 'I wasn't paying attention to my brother, and he attacked Kazuha. I will take any punishment you will inflict upon Kurai.'

Haruhiro's POV

Master Nakamura looked at her darkly.

'So be it.' he said before slapping her.

As his previous pupil, I knew how harsh the pain was, and Mei remained quiet with her hand on her cheek.

'MEI!' I yelled before running between Mei and my former master. 'Master, stop!'

'Haruhiro. There is no need for you to interfere.'

'No master! You cannot abuse a woman. I will not stand it.' I said, 'Besides, it'll hurt your image.'

He gritted his teeth before turning away from us.

'Make sure this never happens again, girl.'

'Yes, my lord.' she said, holding her cheek and looking away with tears in her eyes.

'Are you two ok?' I asked Mei and Kazuha once the crowd dispersed

Mei nodded, and Kazuha stared at his burnt hand.

'Kazuha, I am so sorry' Mei said bowing multiple times

'It's not your fault Mei.' Kazuha responded

'What were you thinking!?'  I yelled at Mei

'I'm used to it...please don't pry.' she responded

'Fine.' I responded, 'That looked like it hurt as hell. Is there anything I can do?'

'No, I'm fine. Kazuha, come with me. I'll heal your hand.'

He nodded.

***Flashback***

I looked down. Kazuha's hand became permanently scarred. I tried to find a cure, but he told me he was okay. I stared at the scroll in Kurai's hand. How will I protect both of them now? Especially now that I don't have Hiro to lean on.'