Chapter 43

January 1987

"You've fought inter dimensional creatures but you're scared to ask Mr. King for permission to marry Rachel?" Robin asked.

Steve was pacing around Family Video. He was on his lunch break and went to talk to Robin while she worked. He was going to be asking Rachel's dad for his permission and blessing to ask Rachel to marry him.

"You've seen him. He is huge and has access to guns."

"He didn't shoot you when he heard you had sex with his daughter, why would he shoot you for asking to marry her?"

"Point taken, but my future with Rachel lies in his hands. He could say no, or tell me to try again when I have a better job or.."

"Steve you're overreacting, the entire King family loves you. Emma already considers you as her brother."

"Yeah..thanks Robin."

Then Steve left the video store and Robin shook her head. Her best friend was a complete mess, it was cute to watch him worry so much. She hoped that Mr. King would say yes.

~~Two weeks later~~

Steve and I were enjoying a nice picnic in the park, over the past several months Hawkins had been repaired the best it could. The government had a plan, an army and resources ready to go against Vecna when he comes. I have been more relaxed, school had started for the younger ones and they were busy. I was given more assignments with Hawkins Post and Nancy was off at college. The only one of us who left, she regretted leaving us but we all told her that she needed to go. We would call her if there were signs of Vecna.

The sun had gone down now, the food was gone and all that was left was cheesecake for dessert. Steve and I were currently dancing to some music. He held me close, my head against his chest moving to the song. Then Steve began to speak, usual things like how work was going and the kids. Then began talking of the future.

"I don't know what's going to happen when Vecna comes or what Hawkins is going to be like when he's gone. What I do know is I want to go through it with you by my side" Steve said as he pulled himself away just a bit.

I looked up at him, his hands moved down to hold mine now. His eyes locked on mine. My heart began to beat faster.

"I want to fall asleep every night with you in my arms, I want to travel the world with you and raise kids. I want to grow old beside you. I may not have been your first date or first kiss but that's fine because I want to be your last. I love you Rachel more than I have ever loved anyone" he bent down on one knee and pulled out a ring. "I want the honor of calling you Mrs. Harrington. Rachel King, will you marry me?"

My jaw was dropped the minute he fell to one knee, I felt tears build in my eyes. This was actually happening, He was officially proposing, this wasn't just us talking about what we want in the future.

"Yes Steve, a thousand times yes!" I replied.

He slipped the ring onto my finger, I put my hands on his face and kissed him deeply. He stood up, lifted me in his arms and spun me around.

"I know I said I would propose after we defeated Vecna, but I didn't want to wait anymore" Steve held my face in his hands.

"I'm glad you didn't wait any longer, I've actually already started coming up with some wedding ideas with Robin and Nancy" I said.

"Should we tell people now? Or wait and let them figure it out for themselves?"

"Hmm, well there is a high likelihood that my mom already knows you were going to ask."