Chapter 16

"Rachel?! Rachel!" I heard a voice calling.

I turned and saw my dad, what was he doing here? He should have been on base. He walked up to us and he didn't say a word about me being in Steve's arms he just stroked my cheek.

"What happened?" he asked.

"It's a long story," I replied as I looked at him sadly.

"I'm gonna go check on people alright, then I'll take you home" he looked at Steve now "Stay with her."

"Won't leave her side sir" Steve replied.

My dad left to see if he could learn of what happened but also check on everyone else. Everyone who was there that he knew or didn't know he made sure everyone was okay. I assumed that he was asking the soldiers what happened. I wasn't paying attention to where he was because I buried my face into Steve's chest crying again. After a while my dad was back and said it was time to go. I removed my face Steve's chest and looked around, most of the parents were there now getting their kids. Joyce had El and Max with her along with her own sons. I saw Robin by herself and frowned.

"Hey dad, can we give Steve and Robin a ride?" I asked. I didn't want to leave them behind without a way home. Steve's keys were taken by Russians and Robin shouldn't have to bike home since it appeared that no one came for her.

"Yes," he replied.

I moved from Steve's arms to get Robin then we all got into my dad's car. Reluctantly I sat up front, I wanted to stay in Steve's arm but it made more sense for him and Robin to be in the back since once they were dropped off it would just be me and my dad.

"Did they tell you anything?" I asked him.

"Russians were under the mall," he said "But there was something unnatural in the middle of the mall that no one answered me straight on."

I couldn't keep it a secret any longer and I spilled everything to him, the demogorgon and demodogs, the mind flayer and the Upside Down. I could feel Steve's eyes on me as I spoke, we were sworn to secrecy and I was breaking that but I didn't care. Robin and Erica were both told, and we just lost Billy and Hopper. I didn't give a damn about secrecy.

"I can't believe I am going to say this but, I believe you. You can't tell your mom though. She'll worry too much," he said.

"You guys always tell each other everything, you're going to keep this from her?" I asked as we were dropping Robin off.

"This is the one time I won't be. She will never let you leave the house again if she knew. Let this just die okay? If something happens again then we'll go from there." I nodded to him in reply.

"What happened to you this time Steve?" my dad asked as he looked in the rear view mirror.

"Russians sir," Steve replied.

We pulled up to Steve's house and he got out as he thanked my dad. I looked at him one more time and gave him a small smile. Then it was just me and dad as we headed for home.

"So uh are you and Steve like...dating now?"

"Uh yeah. It sort of just happened today," I replied.

"Thank goodness, I can not take another day of your mother talking about interfering and pushing you two together."

"You aren't mad?"

"Why would I be? I figured it was only a matter of time. From what I have heard he has been at your grandparents house at least once a week since New Years. I gotta admit that I don't understand how you went from not liking him two years ago to now dating him though."