Chapter 2

Time passed by and I was getting more used to being here. One evening I had gone over to the Byers' house to give Will the artwork I had made and to give him some supplies that I couldn't find a place to store at home.

"Alright boys, I'm off to work," Mrs. Byers said.

"I have work tonight I told you last week," Jonathan said.

Mrs. Byers looked at him and they went into the other room to discuss it. I sat with Will in the dining room as he was smiling at the art stuff.

"Thanks for taking the stuff Will, I was afraid I would have to throw it out. I used to have space for it but that's limited now," I said.

"Will, are you going to the Wheeler's tonight?" Mrs. Byers asked when she and Jonathan came back. Will shook his head no. I could tell there was something going on and she seemed stressed.

"If it's alright with you Mrs. Byers I'd like to stay and hang out with Will a bit more, maybe I could show him some new drawing techniques" I offered. I wanted to be a help without making it obvious that she could use it. She smiled at me and nodded her head.

"I'll be home late, but Jonathan can give you a ride after he gets off" she replied and Jonathan nodded then they both left.

That was how it started, I became a babysitter in a sort of way for Will. It didn't happen very often, usually their work schedule meshed better but on times that they didn't Will would either come to my house after school or I would bike over to his to hang out.

Ring

Ring

Ring

I heard the phone in my room going off. I reached for it, picked it up and very sleepily said into it "King residence."

"Rachel, did Will happen to spend the night at your house last night?" Mrs. Byers' voice asked on the other side.

"No, was he supposed to?" I replied.

"I couldn't remember if he was going to after his game at the Wheeler's, I'm sorry to have woken you."

"Is everything okay Mrs. Byers?"

Silence

"Mrs. Byers?"

"He probably just went to school early, again I am sorry for waking you."

She hung up, I got up out of bed and got ready for school. The day continued on like any other day with one thing different, Jonathan wasn't at school. I took note of it pretty early on and decided that I would go after school to see if the Byers were alright. Once the bell rang for school to end, I waited for my mom outside. When she got there I asked if she could take me to the Byers house and explained that Jonathan wasn't at school and I was bringing the day's homework. She and Emma did drop me off and figured I could get a ride or call her if I needed her back. I knocked on the door to the house and at first no one answered, knocked again then it opened and I saw Jonathan.

"You weren't at school today so I figured I would bring you the homework. Are you okay?" I asked.

He stood there, not replying or looking at me. I grabbed the work from my bag and held it out to him. He took it and muttered a thanks, I heard his mom asking who it was.

"Rachel," he replied to her.

"Hi Mrs. Byers" I said from outside the door and the brief look I got at her I could tell she had been crying. "Did something happen?"

Jonathan looked at me finally and I could see he was upset, I pushed past him to let myself inside. I knew it wasn't very polite but I was worried and I knew that I wouldn't get anything from Jonathan right now. As I came in Mrs. Byers sat down on their couch and told me everything, she told me that Will was missing. I sat down and when Jonathan also took a seat I helped him work on a missing persons flier and then the Hawkins police showed up to take a look around. I stayed with the Byers until night, doing what I could until my mom showed up to take me home. I told her what Mrs. Byers told me and she was glad that I stayed and helped however I could.