Chapter 40

Steve's dad was back now, I was nervous about how things were going to go. His mom has been so warm and welcoming and I know his father isn't that fond of me. Whenever I was over before he would rarely speak, he didn't insult me when he did speak so it was a step up from my first interaction. He arrived home just before dinner time, I was in the kitchen with Mrs. Harrington and Steve was gone at the moment. He was at Family Video to help get it back open. Mrs. Harrington heard her husband's arrival and told him where she was.

"I was not expecting the military presence in town. Was the earthquake that bad then?" Mr. Harrington asked as he entered the kitchen.

"There are a lot of homes and other buildings destroyed," Mrs. Harrington replied. "Rachel, could you stir the pot please."

Nodding my head I did as she asked, that was when Mr. Harrington noticed me. Very much not expecting to see me in his home.

"Hello Rachel, I thought you would be at your own home for dinner" he said.

"I'm teaching her how to make one of Steven's favorite dishes" Mrs. Harrington replied.

She said she would handle things with Mr. Harrington, about my staying here. I had a feeling she was planning on waiting to say anything about it until either later when they were alone or until Steve got back. He is due back soon. My back was to Mr. Harrington while I stirred so I did not see his reaction to his wife's words.

"Very well, I will take my things upstairs and come back down when dinner is ready" he said before leaving.

We finished up making the food about fifteen minutes later and Steve arrived home. He came into the dining room where I was setting the table.

"How long has he been home?" Steve asked.

"About twenty minutes or so. He arrived while your mom and I were finishing dinner. He went upstairs and hasn't been back down yet, he didn't seem too happy to find me in the kitchen when he got home" I relied.

Steve kissed the top of my head, then took the silverware from my hand. He could tell I was worried about telling his dad I was temporarily living there. He didn't care what his dad thought about it, he didn't have a good relationship with him but he knew that I didn't want to be another rift between them.

"I love you, nothing he says will change that. If he doesn't want you here then we can always go back to your place until I find a place of my own" he said.

"I don't want you to though, I don't want to come between you and your parents" was my reply.

"My mom doesn't have a problem with it, so nothing will change with us. I'll still see her."

He gently stroked my cheek before helping me finish the table. I went back into the kitchen to help his mom finish plating up dinner, Mr. Harrington came down and took his seat at the table. Steve too took his seat. Oncec Mrs. Harrington and I brought the plates out we took our seats. I was across from Steve and she across from Mr. Harrington. Dinner started out smoothly, it was quiet as we all ate. Mr. Harrington asked if Steve still had his job with all the damage to the town which Steve replied that the store is set to open by the end of the week and that he still has a job there once it opens. But there were more important buildings that needed repair and rebuilding before the video store.

"I've actually found I'm good at construction, I've helped repair a few places" Steve said.

"That's wonderful Steven," his mom said smiling.

"I got an offer today to join a construction company that is working in town."

I was surprised as was his mom but we were both happy for him. This was a light in the darkness we found ourselves surrounded by.