Chapter 31

The news was reporting a death at the trailer park, it was a high school student. My heart jumped into my throat as I heard the report. I knew two people who lived in that trailer park, I felt Steve's arm on my shoulder and I jumped.

"Rachel?"

"What?"

He didn't get to finish because Max and Dustin came into the video store. I sighed in relief seeing Max, at least she was okay. Dustin began asking about phones in the store, was told we have three then he tossed his bag over the counter and slid across it.

"No, no, no! My tapes! Dude" Steve said as Dustin was behind the counter now and getting on the computer. "What are you doing?"

"Setting up base of operations" Dustin replied.

"Base of operations?" I asked.

"Get off of that," Steve said.

"I need it."

"For what?"

"To look up Eddie's friends' phone numbers."

I was starting to fix the pile of tapes that Dustin knocked over while Steve was arguing with Dustin, Robin was passing me tapes and Max had come behind the counter like a normal person and was by Dustin.

"Your new best friend Eddie who you think is cooler than me because he plays your nerdy game?" Steve asked.

"I never said that," Dustin replied.

"Seriously, you guys, maybe on a Monday you can play around in here like toddlers. But it's Saturday, it's our busiest day" I said.

"Rachel I empathize but this cannot wait until Monday."

"Because calling Eddie's friends is an emergency?"

"Correct!"

"Do you want me to strangle them or do you want to do that?" Steve asked as he put a tape on the pile and looked at me.

"We could take turns," I looked at him while I reply.

"Can you fill them in while I do this?" Dustin asked Max.

"Fill us in on what?" Robin asked.

Max began to tell us what she saw, Chrissy was at Eddie's last night and it was her body that was found this morning. Eddie is the suspect, he had run off last night and neither Dustin or Max believe Eddie killed Chrissy and I have to agree. So Dustin, Robin and Max began making phone calls. I crossed names off the list as they told me to and Steve was helping customers in the store. I helped him when it got busier. Finally Max got something.

"Apparently Eddie gets his drugs from some guy named Reefer Rick and sometimes Eddie crashes there" Max said.

"Sounds promising, where does Reefer Rick live?" Robin asked.

"That's the thing, no one knows. He's more of a legend than someone that people actually know."

"What about a last name?" Dustin asked.

"Don't know that either."

"Bet the cops know the last name," Steve said.

"What?"

"Cops. I mean listen, if this Reefer Rick is actually a drug dealer I guarantee you he's been busted at some point. Means he's in the system," Steve leaned against the counter as he talked.

"The cops? Really, Steve? That's your suggestion?" Dustin asked.

"I just think at this point they should be filled in on what we know, what's going on."