SIXTY-ONE - THE RIDE HOME!

NOBODY AT HOGWARTS knew the truth of what had happened the night that Sirius, Buckbeak, and Pettigrew had vanished except for those who were there and Professor Dumbledore

NOBODY AT HOGWARTS knew the truth of what had happened the night that Sirius, Buckbeak, and Pettigrew had vanished except for those who were there and Professor Dumbledore. As the end of term approached, Cassie heard many theories about what had really happened, but none of them came close to the truth.

She heard Dahlia, Hannah, Susan and Megan talking about it on the last day of term in the Hufflepuff common room. "Maybe Black is actually a secret fairy," Megan said, making the girls laugh.

"I can't believe Lupin is a werewolf, though," Dahlia whispered, "He is still incredibly fit to me — It's so sad he's chosen to resign. He is by far the best Defense professor we ever had."

"I may be biased," Cassie said, "But I agree."

Millie was purring from her place on Cassie's lap.

"The exam results are out today," Hannah said, "Professor Sprout should be here soon to drop them off."

"Oh!" Dahlia said, "My mum has said if I get good grades she'll take me to see the Quidditch World Cup... Which means she has already bought the tickets. And never guess what?"

"What?" Hannah, Susan and Megan said. Cassie felt Millie climb up her clothes and onto her chest.

"I have an extra four tickets for four friends," Dahlia told them, "So I was wondering if you all wanted to come with me? Yes, Cassie, it includes you — You're my best friend too."

Cassie's face lit up as they all began saying how excited they were to go see it. Suddenly, the common room door had opened. "The exams results — Well done, girls."

They all eagerly took their results, Cassie smiled brightly. Her results were all O's. The girls passed all of them, too — including the ones they thought they failed.

The end of term feast took place amid decorations of scarlet and gold, and that the Gryffindor table was the noisiest of the lot, as everybody celebrated. Cassie had dragged Dahlia, Megan, Hannah and Susan to sit with them — introducing them all to eachother.

As the Hogwarts Express pulled out of the station the next morning, Hermione gave Harry, Callie, Cassie and Ron some surprising news.

"I went to see Professor McGonagall this morning, just before breakfast. I've decided to drop Muggle Studies."

"But you passed your exam with three hundred and twenty percent!" said Ron.

"I know," sighed Hermione, "but I can't stand another year like this one. That Time-Turner, it was driving me mad. I've handed it in. Without Muggle Studies and Divination, I'll be able to have a normal schedule again."

"I still can't believe you didn't tell us about it," said Ron grumpily. "We're supposed to be your friends."

"I didn't need to be told," Cassie smirked, "I knew the entire time. I'm just that smart, guys. Y'know —"

"The hat contemplated on either Ravenclaw or Gryffindor to sort you into — you nagged for Hufflepuff," the other four chorused, "We know, Cassie."

"Just checking!" Cassie grinned, before she saw the look on Harry's face. "Be happy, Harry!"

"I'm okay," said Harry quickly. "Just thinking about the holidays."

"Yeah, I've been thinking about them too," said Ron. "Harry, you've got to come and stay with us. I'll fix it up with Mum and Dad, then I'll call you. I know how to use a fellytone now —"

"A telephone, Ron," said Hermione. "Honestly, you should take Muggle Studies next year..."

Ron ignored her.

"It's the Quidditch World Cup this summer! How about it, Harry? Come and stay, and we'll all go and see it! Dad can usually get tickets from work."

Hermione and Callie were immediately excited, and Harry seemed to be cheered up a lot after hearing those words. "Yeah... I bet the Dursleys'd be pleased to let me come... especially after what I did to Aunt Marge..."

Ron looked at Cassie, "Are you going to come, Cass?"

"I would," Cassie said, "But I'm already going with the girls, sorry."

"Don't apologise!" Ron exclaimed.

"Yeah, you're finally making friends yourself," Callie stated, "It's a good thing."

As they played a fun game of exploding snaps, Hermione began peering over Harry's shoulder. "Harry," she said, "What's that thing outside your window?"

Something very small and gray was bobbing in and out of sight beyond the glass. It was a tiny owl, carrying a letter that was much too big for it. The owl was so small, in fact, that it kept tumbling over in the air, buffeted this way and that in the train's slipstream.

Callie grinned, "It's like you, Cass!" She exclaimed, "Tiny and clumsy."

Harry quickly pulled down the window, stretched out his arm, and caught it. He pulled it carefully inside.

The owl dropped its letter onto Harry's seat and began zooming around their compartment, apparently very pleased with itself for accomplishing its task.

Millie began hissing at it, while Crookshanks just stared. Hedwig clicked her beak with a sort of dignified disapproval.

Harry picked up the letter. It was addressed to him. He ripped open the letter, and shouted, "It's from Sirius!"

"What?" said the others excitedly. "Read it aloud!"

"Dear Harry, I hope this finds you before you reach your aunt and uncle. I don't know whether they're used to owl post. Buckbeak and I are in hiding. I won't tell you where, in case this owl falls into the wrong hands. I have some doubt about his reliability, but he is the best I could find, and he did seem eager for the job. I believe the Dementors are still searching for me, but they haven't a hope of finding me here. I am planning to allow some Muggles to glimpse me soon, a long way from Hogwarts, so that the security on the castle will be lifted. There is something I never got around to telling you during our brief meeting. It was I who sent you the Firebolt —"

"Ha!" said Hermione triumphantly. "See! I told you it was from him!"

"Yes, but he hadn't jinxed it, had he?" said Ron. "Ouch!" The tiny owl now hooting happily in his hand, had nibbled one of his fingers in what it seemed to think was an affectionate way.

"Crookshanks took the order to the Owl Office for me. I used your name but told them to take the gold from my own Gringotts vault. Please consider it as thirteen birthdays' worth of presents from your godfather. I would also like to apologize for the fright I think I gave you that night last year when you left your uncle's house. I had only hoped to get a glimpse of you before starting my journey north, but I think the sight of me alarmed you. I am enclosing something else for you, which I think will make your next year at Hogwarts more enjoyable. If ever you need me, send word. Your owl will find me. I'll write again soon. Sirius"

Inside the envelope, Harry spotted a signed Hogsmeade permission slip. He grinned, "No more sneaking around now."

A/N: one more chapter of this act to go!!!