FORTY-NINE, THE WEREWOLF AND THE MURDERER!

REMUS LUPIN BURST THROUGH THE DOOR, his wand pointing over at the teenagers

REMUS LUPIN BURST THROUGH THE DOOR, his wand pointing over at the teenagers. "Expelliarmus!" He said, and this time all of the wands came flying out of their hands, Cassie's included.

Remus gestured for Harry to move aside, and he obediently stepped back. Wand still raised, Remus approached Sirius. "Well, well, Sirius, looking rather ragged, aren't we?" He said, "Finally, the flesh reflects the madness within."

"Well, you'd know all about the madness within, wouldn't you, Remus?" Sirius retorted. Remus lowered his wand, helped Sirius to his feet, and hugged him. "I found him!"

"I know." Remus replied as Cassie pursed her lips. She wanted her wand back.

"It's him!"
"I understand."
"Let's kill him!"

"No!" Hermione exclaimed, eyes wide. "I trusted you, and all this time, you've been his friend!" She pointed at Remus, and before Cassie and Callie could stop her, she said, "He's a werewolf! That's why he's been missing classes!"

"How long have you known?" Remus asked, looking in Hermione's direction.

"Since Professor Snape set the essay." Hermione responded, "Your boggart was a giveaway, though. As likely as Cassie's story of throwing a crystal ball at your head was, I didn't believe it for a second."

"Well, well, well, Hermione, you really are the brightest witch of your age I've ever met." Remus commented, making Cassie purse her lips — Hermione was bright, but Cassie was brighter, and they all knew that. It was just because she was taking all the subjects that she appeared smarter. Callie gave Cassie a pat on the back.

"Dumbledore hired you when he knew you were a werewolf," Ron gasped. "Is he mad?"

"There's nothing wrong with werewolves!" The Smith twins exclaimed, glaring over at Ron. Remus smiled softly at his kids.

"Some of the staff thought he was mad," said Remus. "He had to work very hard to convince certain teachers that I'm trustworthy —"

"AND HE WAS WRONG!" Harry yelled. "YOU'VE BEEN HELPING HIM ALL THE TIME!" He was pointing at Sirius, whose face was hidden in one shaking hand. Crookshanks leapt up beside him and stepped onto his lap, purring.

"I have not been helping Sirius," said Remus. "If you'll give me a chance, I'll explain. Look —"

He separated Cassie's, Callie's Harry's, Ron's and Hermione's wands and threw each back to its owner. Cassie caught it with a smile.

"There," said Remus, sticking his own wand back into his belt "You're armed, we're not. Now will you listen?"

"If you haven't been helping him," Harry said, with a furious glance at Sirius, "how did you know he was here?"

"The map," said Remus. "The Marauder's Map. I was in my office examining it —"

"You know how to work it?" Harry said suspiciously.