FIVE - GRIM, DONKEY, OR KANGAROO!

CASSIE LOOKED AT TRELAWNEY AS IF SHE WAS STUPID, clearly she was

CASSIE LOOKED AT TRELAWNEY AS IF SHE WAS STUPID, clearly she was. Deadly enemy, everybody already knew he had one. It's not his fault Voldemort was always finding ways to go after him. First year, he was on the back of Quirrell's head,  second year he was in a diary and somehow possessed Ginny and Cassie, she wouldn't be surprised if something happened this year.

"But everyone knows that," said Hermione in a loud whisper, voicing Cassie's very own thoughts. Professor Trelawney stared at the bushy-haired girl. "Well, they do. Everybody knows about Harry and You-Know-Who."

Cassie and Callie exchanged a glance, Hermione had never spoken to a teacher like that before. Callie wore a proud look on her face, whereas Cassie's face showed nothing but nervousness. Her nerves bubbled even more as Professor Trelawney lowered her huge eyes to Harry's cup again and continued to turn it.

"The club... an attack. Dear, dear, this is not a happy cup..."

Cassie watched as Trelawney continued looking into Harry's cup.

"I thought that was a bowler hat," said Ron sheepishly.

Callie grinned at him, making him grin back.

"The skull... danger in your path, my dear..."

Everyone was staring, transfixed, at Professor Trelawney, who gave the cup a final turn, gasped, and then screamed. There was another tinkle of breaking china; Neville had smashed his second cup. Professor Trelawney sank into a vacant armchair, her glittering hand at her heart and her eyes closed. "My dear boy... my poor, dear boy... no... it is kinder not to say... no... don't ask me..."

"W-What is it, Professor?" Cassie spoke up nervously, wanting to know what was in the Potter's cup. Everyone had got to their feet, and slowly they crowded around Harry and Ron's table, pressing close to Professor Trelawney's chair to get a good look at Harry's cup.

"My dear," Professor Trelawney's huge eyes opened dramatically, "you have the Grim."

"The what?" said Harry.

Cassie looked at him and shrugged, while Callie just looked puzzled, nearly everybody else clapped their hands to their mouths in horror.

"The Grim, my dear, the Grim!" cried Professor Trelawney, who looked shocked that Harry hadn't understood. "The giant, spectral dog that haunts churchyards! My dear boy, it is an omen—the worst omen—of death!"

Cassie looked at Harry with worry, and Callie grabbed ahold of her sister's hand. Cassie worried about everyone, whether she knew them or not. She even worried about people who had  bullied her. Hermione had gotten up and moved around to the back of Professor Trelawney's chair. "I don't think it looks like a Grim," she said flatly.

Professor Trelawney surveyed Hermione with mounting dislike. "You'll forgive me for saying so, my dear, but I perceive very little aura around you. Very little receptivity to the resonances of the future."

Seamus Finnigan was tilting his head from side to side. "It looks like a Grim if you do this," he said, with his eyes almost shut, "but it looks more like a donkey from here," he said, leaning to the left.

As Cassie peered into the cup, she frowned, "I thought that was a kangaroo," she muttered to Callie, who laughed in response. Harry glanced over at Cassie with a small smile, he had heard what she had said and he couldn't help but be amused. She gave him a tight-lipped smile, her hair going to a light pink.

"Professor," Callie said, approaching her with two cups, "I was wondering if you could tell me what's in both cups."

In one cup, it had some sort of scissors, three lines and a heart with what looked like a small letter H around the heart. The next cup had three lines, a kite, and a sun. One cup was darker than the other.

"Whose is this one?" said Trelawney, eyeing up the first cup with wide eyes. "I see a loss of a friend, good change, and love headed your way, with someone starting with H. That good change comes before anything, however the loss of a friend is what leads you in the path to love."

The twins exchanged a glance.

"This cup... good change headed your way, whatever you wish will come true, and great happiness. So whatever you wish will come with the good change and the great happiness. Use your wish wisely, my dear."

Trelawney looked between both twins, her eyes widening. The Smith twins, she had seen them before... they're going to do a lot of good in the future. Yes, there's going to be a war, and Trelawney knew those two would play a big part in it. Trelawney's eyes went to Harry, and she let out another loud gasp. War... Harry... the Grim.

"My dear boy," she muttered, sinking into her chair.

Cassie and Callie exchanged a confused glance, but shrugged to themselves anyway.

"Have you all finished deciding whether I'm going to die or not?" said Harry, raising his voice slightly. The twins looked back at him.

"I think we will leave the lesson here for today," said Professor Trelawney in her mistiest voice. "Yes... please pack away your things..."

Silently the class took their teacups back to Professor Trelawney, packed away their books, and closed their bags. "Until we meet again," said Professor Trelawney faintly, "fair fortune be yours. Oh, and dear"—she pointed at Neville—"you'll be late next time, so mind you work extra-hard to catch up."

They all set off for Professor McGonagall's Transfiguration lesson.  Professor McGonagall was telling them about Animagi ( wizards who could transform at will into animals ), and she transformed herself in front of their eyes into a tabby cat with spectacle markings around her eyes.

Nobody clapped.

"Really, what has got into you all today?" said Professor McGonagall, turning back into herself with a faint pop, and staring around at them all. "Not that it matters, but that's the first time my transformation's not got applause from a class."

"Please, Professor, we've just had our first Divination class, and we were reading the tea leaves, and—" Hermione said, hand raised.

"Ah, of course," said Professor McGonagall, suddenly frowning. "There is no need to say any more, Miss Granger. Tell me, which of you will be dying this year?"

Everyone stared at her blankly.

"Me," said Harry, finally.

"I see," said Professor McGonagall, fixing Harry with her beady eyes. "Then you should know, Potter, that Sybill Trelawney has predicted the death of one student a year since she arrived at this school. None of them has died yet. Seeing death omens is her favorite way of greeting a new class. If it were not for the fact that I never speak ill of my colleagues—"

Professor McGonagall broke off, and they saw that her nostrils had gone white. She went on, more calmly, "Divination is one of the most imprecise branches of magic. I shall not conceal from you that I have very little patience with it. True Seers are very rare, and Professor Trelawney—"

She stopped again, and then said, in a very matter-of-fact tone, "You look in excellent health to me, Potter, so you will excuse me if I don't let you off homework today. I assure you that if you die, you need not hand it in."

A/N: Honestly, I really do love Cassie, bless her thinking the grim was a kangaroo.
QOTD: what is your favourite colour?
AOTD: pink!