FIFTY-FOUR - CASSIE'S AMAZING AIM!

HERMIONE AND HARRY LOOKED AT CASSIE, confusion written all over their faces

HERMIONE AND HARRY LOOKED AT CASSIE, confusion written all over their faces. "But — how will that help Sirius?" Hermione asked.

"Are you guys seriously that dense?" Cassie wondered, blinking in their direction. "Did you not listen to what Dumbles said? He literally told us where the window is — the window of Flitwick's office! That is where they've got Sirius locked up! We've got to fly Buckbeak up to the window and rescue Sirius! Sirius can escape on Buckbeak — they can escape together! Was that really not obvious to you guys?"

Harry tilted his head, "Well, now it makes sense."

"If we manage that without being seen, it'll be a miracle!" Hermione stated.

"Well, we've got to try, haven't we?" said Harry. He stood up andvpressed his ear against the door. "Doesn't sound like anyone's there... Come on, let's go."

Harry pushed open the closet door. The entrance hall was deserted. As quietly and quickly as they could, they darted out of the closet and down the stone steps. The shadows were already lengthening, the tops of the trees in the Forbidden Forest gilded once more with gold.

"If anyone's looking out of the window —" Hermione squeaked, looking up at the castle behind them.

"We'll run for it," said Harry determinedly. "Straight into the forest, all right? We'll have to hide behind a tree or something and keep a lookout —"

"Okay, but we'll go around by the greenhouses!' said Hermione breathlessly. "We need to keep out of sight of Hagrid's front door, or we'll see us! We must be nearly at Hagrid's by now!"

They tore across the vegetable gardens to the greenhouses, paused for a moment behind them, then set off again, fast as they could, skirting around the Whomping Willow, tearing toward the shelter of the forest...

They were finally hidden safely in the trees.

"Right," she gasped. "We need to sneak over to Hagrid's... Keep out of sight, guys..."

They made their way silently through the trees, keeping to the very edge of the forest. Then, as they glimpsed the front of Hagrid's house, they heard a knock upon his door.

They moved quickly behind a wide oak trunk and peered out from either side. Hagrid had appeared in his doorway, shaking and white, looking around to see who had knocked. Then, they heard the sound of Harry's voice.

"It's us. We're wearing the Invisibility Cloak. Let us in and we can take it off."

"Yeh shouldn've come!" Hagrid whispered. He stood back, then shut the door quickly.

"This is the weirdest thing we've ever done," Harry said, eyes wide.

"I think it's the coolest thing I've ever done," Cassie replied.

"Let's move along a bit," Hermione whispered. "We need to get nearer to Buckbeak!"

They crept through the trees until they saw the nervous Hippogriff, tethered to the fence around Hagrid's pumpkin patch.

"Now?" Harry whispered.

"No!" said Hermione and Cassie, with the former continuing. "If we steal him now, those Committee people will think Hagrid set him free! We've got to wait until they've seen he's tied outside!"

"That's going to give us about sixty seconds," said Harry. This was starting to seem impossible.

At that moment, there was a crash of breaking china from inside Hagrid's cabin.

"That's Hagrid breaking the milk jug," Hermione whispered. "Me and Cassie are going to find Scabbers in a moment —"

Sure enough, a few minutes later, they heard Hermione's shriek of surprise, and Cassie's yell, "AAAHHHH — A RAT!"

"Guys," said Harry suddenly, "what if we — we just run in there and grab Pettigrew —"

"Don't be stupid, Harry," Cassie scoffed.

"Don't you understand?" Hermione asked, "We're breaking one of the most important wizarding laws! Nobody's supposed to change time, nobody! You heard Dumbledore, if we're seen —"

"We'd only be seen by ourselves and Hagrid!"

"Harry, what do you think you'd do if you saw yourself bursting into Hagrid's house?" said Hermione.

"I'd — I'd think I'd gone mad," said Harry, "or I'd think there was some Dark Magic going on —"

"Exactly! You wouldn't understand, you might even attack yourself!" Hermione stated, "Don't you see? Professor McGonagall told me what awful things have happened when wizards have meddled with time... Loads of them ended up killing their past or future selves by mistake!"

"Okay!" said Harry. "It was just an idea, I just thought —"

"It was a bad idea," Cassie deadpanned as Hermione pointed towards the castle. Dumbledore, Fudge, the old Committee member, and Macnair the executioner were coming down the steps.

"We're not leaving!" Hermione breathed, panic in her voice. "Why aren't we leaving?"

Cassie looked around, picking up a rock and throwing it right in the direction of the window. "Nice aim," Harry and Hermione commented, watching Callie poke her head out of the window as she rubbed it. Callie disappeared and a moment later, Cassie's head poked out and disappeared.

And sure enough, moments later, Hagrid's back door opened, and they saw themselves, along with Callie and Ron, walking out of it with Hagrid.

"It's Okay, Beaky, it's okay..." Hagrid said to Buckbeak. Then he turned to the teenagers. "Go on. Get goin'."

"Hagrid, we can't —"

"Don't be silly, Hagrid—"

"We'll tell them what really happened —"

"We don't want to—"

"They can't kill him —"

"Go! It's bad enough without you lot in trouble an' all!"

They watched as past Hermione threw the invisibility cloak over themselves.

"Go quick. Don' listen..."

There was a knock on Hagrid's front door. The execution party had arrived. Hagrid turned, around and headed back into his cabin, leaving the back door ajar.

Past them had disappeared, and now they could hear what was happening inside the cabin.

"Where is the beast?" came the cold voice of Macnair.

"Out — outside," Hagrid croaked.

They watched as Macnair's face appeared at Hagrid's window, staring out at Buckbeak. Then they heard Fudge.

"We — er — have to read you the official notice of execution, Hagrid. I'll make it quick. And then you and Macnair need to sign it. Macnair, You're supposed to listen too, that's procedure —"

Macnair's face vanished from the window. Cassie, Harry, and Hermione all exchanged a glance; It was now or never.

A/N: Cassie should lowkey be on the Quidditch team with aim as good as hers.
QOTD: do you guys have any piercings?
AOTD: yes, i have my ears and belly pierced — i did have my nose pierced but i lost the piercing!