Chapter 11: Discussion

Three Days Later-

Moon and I stood in Captain Morgan's office, the door opened. Captain walked in and took his seat, we both took our seats. "I wanted you two to be the first to know that the van was indeed the one that kidnapped Gracie Clover,". "This is great," I said. "Forensics also found some blood in the van and a piece of clothing," Captain Morgan said. He handed Moon a bag with a piece of pink clothing. "How did this clothing last so long in the van," Moon asked. "We don't know yet,". Moon handed me the bag, I moved my finger around the bag looking at the clothing.

I sat on the floor in the living room, and a woman walked into the room. "You need to get ready honey,". "I'm coming mom," I said as I looked back at the tv. "Police have found a torn shirt that may have some connection with the Gracie Clover case," the reporter said. "Marley come on, we need to go,". I stood up, turning off the tv.

"I've seen this piece of clothing before, right before the case closed 16 years ago the police found a torn shirt. It was this exact shade of pink, do you think it's still in evidence," I asked. "It should be, we don't touch evidence," Captain Morgan said as he stood up. We walked to the evidence room and began searching boxes. I took a box down from the shelf, setting it on the floor. I started searching through the box, looking through all the flyers, posters, and newspaper clipping. "Found it," Moon shouted.

Captain Morgan and I walked over to him, he held the bag up with hand. I held up the bag in my hand to him. "You were right, this is the same shirt," Moon said. "This was here the entire time and nobody said anything," Captain Morgan said. "What if someone was withholding evidence," I said. "That's impossible, everything that is brought in is runned by me first,". "If someone was withholding evidence why would they show this on love tv, knowing that someone would see it and ask questions,". "Nobody was meant to see it," I said. "What," Moon said as he laid the bag back in the box. 

"That day I specifically remember, my mom was trying to get me ready. We were going somewhere that day, everyone was but I can't remember where we were going," I said. "Everyone was going to the one year anniversary ceremony, whoever presented the evidence knew no one would be home to watch the broadcast on tv," Captain Morgan said. "Whoever it was has probably changed its appearance since then so it would be hard to find out who it was,". We cleaned up the evidence room and left.

Donahue's Pov:

I stood in the elevator, holding a pillow in my arms. The blanket on my shoulder draped on the floor of the elevator. I stepped out of the elevator, I could hear voices coming from Indigo's office. I crept to the side of the wall and listened closely. "What were we really doing at the wasteland Indigo," Rory asked. "My father told me to send you all there to look for evidence, that's all," Indigo said. "I know you're lying, what were we really there for,". 

"He wanted to see if you all unlocked a core memory from your past, maybe it could help with the case if you went to the scene of the crime,". "Why didn't you just tell us," Auli said. "My father is very strict about what I tell you all," Indigo said. "Is that why you are lying to Marley about not knowing her connection to the case," Rory said. "How do you know about that,". "She told me that you thought you might know her connection. She's the only one that doesn't know their connection,". "I won't tell her, you two can't say anything either," he said. "She's smart, she'll figure it out sooner or later," Auli said.

I snuck back over to the elevator, I kicked the elevator door. They all came out of his office. "Donahue, you're here," Indigo said. "Yea, I just got here. Your elevator sucked up my blanket," I said as I pulled on the blanket. Indigo touched the elevator and the blanket came out of the elevator door. I looked over at Auli and Rory. "What are you both doing here, is there another job,". "No, we were just catching up," Rory said. 

"Okay," I said as I followed Indigo to my room. "This is your room, you will be staying across the hall from me, so if you need anything I will be there,". I sat my pillow and blanket on my bed. "Thank you," I said as I walked over to the elevator. The doors closed, I leaned my head on the wall. The doors opened and I walked out of the IAA building.

 I walked to the chineses restaurant across from the police station. I opened the door and the smell of chicken and rice filled the space. I grabbed my tray from the front desk and handed the clerk a 20 dollar bill. "Keep the change,". I took a seat in a booth, I opened my tray and began eating. I could feel someone sit across from me. I looked up from my food, Marley sat across from me. "Marley,". "Is this seat taken," she asked.

 I shook my head and she sighed. "Did you find a break in the case," I asked as I took a bite of my chicken. "We did but there was a cop withholding evidence 16 years ago,". "Wow, that was a long time ago. We were all different people," I said. "Yeah and it's likely we'll never find the cop who did it. That shirt was a crucial piece of evidence, evidence that could've been used to find Gracie Clover alive, if she isn't already dead,". 

Marley looked out the window at the police station. I pushed my tray of food over to her, she looked down at it and then at me. "You can have the rest, I'm not used to eating good food. All the time in the psych ward has messed up my taste buds," I said with an awkward chuckle. I watched as she grabbed an egg roll and passed back the tray. "You should enjoy your food, it's your treat," she said as she took a bite of the egg roll. I finished eating the food and threw the white tray in the trash. The clerk placed two fortune cookies on the table. "Xiǎngshòu,". "Xièxiè," I said.

 She nodded and walked back behind the counter. I opened my fortune cookie, I looked up and Marley sat with her mouth open. "You might want to close your mouth before you catch a fly," I said as I broke my cookie. "You speak Chinese," she said. "Only when I have to," I said. "I always wanted to learn another language, I took Spanish in highschool but I didn't learn anything past the basics,". "I had a lot of time on my hands so I taught myself,". Marley opened her fortune cookie, she slid over the cookie to me. "You can have mine, I don't like the taste,". 

I grabbed her cookie and started eating. "My fortune says 'You will discover that there is something in front of you that meets more than the eye,". "That was very specific," I said as I looked at my fortune. "Mine says 'Your old wounds will be healed by new love,". "What does that mean,". "It could mean lots of things," I said as I balled up the fortune. I stood up and so did Marley. "See you later," Marley said as she moved some of her hair behind her ear. "Yea, you too," I said as I walked out of the door.