Chapter 3: The Bookworm

Indigo's Pov:

I walked into the elevator, I couldn't be gone for long before these two ripped each other to shreds. As the elevator door opened, I walked out. I got into my car and drove down the street. I parked in front of a bookstore. 

The small bell above the door jingled as I stood at the front desk. "I'm coming," I heard a familiar voice say from the back. I stood as I watched a woman walk from the back. She brushed some of her long brown hair out of her face and pressed her glasses on her face. "Hello, how may I help you," she said as she looked up from the book she held in her hand. "Auli, hi," I said with a smile.

 She scoffed and walked from behind the desk. "Auli wait, you can't keep doing this,". "Sure I can," she said as she walked over to the book shelf. I stood as she fixed some books on the shelf. "What do you want now Indigo, a ride, a kiss, how about a loan," she said as she looked at me. "Auli, I'm her because I wanted to talk to you about your father's case,". 

Auli stopped fixing the books, her full attention on me. "Why do you care about my father's case," she asked. "I wanted to tell you that I'm reopening it with my father's permission. I know this case meant alot to you and your dad, as much as it means to me and my father. Will you help me,". "Help you, you're crazy if you think I'll ever help you again Indigo. Not after the way you treated after he died,". "I'm so sorry about that, I was doing what my father told me,". "Your father told you to break my heart, to leave without a word," she said as her voice trembled. She turned away from me as she wiped tears from her eyes. "I think it'll be best if you leave," Auli said as she walked away. "Auli please, I'm gathering a team, a team that can help find the people who killed your father," I said. 

Auli stopped walking and turned to me slowly. "You really think you'll find the people who did it. That was over five years ago, they would be in the wind,". "I have people who are connected to the case in some way, shape or form. Auli, I want to redeem myself to you, this is my way of doing that," I said as I grabbed her hands. She pulled her hand away and walked past me. "I get off my shift in a few minutes, I'll meet you in your car,". I smiled and walked outside to my car. I sat, waiting for her to come. I was nervous yet excited to be in her life again after so long. The passenger side door opened, Auli sat down and closed the door. I looked at her as she put her silky hair into a ponytail. "Would you stop staring please," Auli said as she buckled her seatbelt. I started the car and drove to the IAA building.

I went to grab the door for her but she opened it herself. I followed behind her, we both stepped into the elevator together and stood in silence the entire ride up. The elevator door opened and we stepped out. Marley stood, her body leaning against a nearby wall. "Where is Donahue,". "How am I supposed to know," Marley said as she stood up straight. She turned to Auli. "You must be our new team member, I'm Marley it's nice to meet you,". "You too, you're an officer,". "Yeah, a rookie cop and you,". "I just work in a book shop, nothing major," Auli said. "Really, I adore people who work with books. That has got to be the coolest job ever,". "It does have its perks,". I walked away from the girls, checking every room for Donahue. I stopped in the last room, he sat on the floor staring at a plant. "I have never seen a plant with so many spikes,". "It's called a cactus," I said. Donahue stood up and walked out of the room. We stood with the girls in the hallway, a voice came from behind us. 

"I see you have gathered almost all of the team," the man said. "Father," I said as I turned around. He rolled over with his wheelchair. "Ms, Keahi it's nice to be in your presence again," he said as he shook Auli's hand. "Mr.Zelle and Ms.Nova it's nice to meet you both. I hope my son has been kind to you both,". "He has," Marley said as she shook his hand. "I have my first assignment for you three, I need to pick up the fifth member of the team. Here is the address, you can take a car from the garage. I have to talk with my son about something,". I watched as Marley, Auli and Donahue walked into the elevator.

I followed dad to the other end of the hallway, he opened the door to his office. He rolled inside and parked his wheelchair. I took a seat in a chair and turned to my father. "Are you sure this is a good idea to bring James's daughter back here after everything that happened,". "She won't cause any trouble this time, I promise dad," I said. "You better keep your word, I won't have another frisco again. You keep your team in check and don't tell them anything more than they need to know, is that understood,". "Marley was already asking questions and she wants to know how she is connected to this case. I can't keep that big of a secret from her,". "You kept a big secret from your girlfriend for years, now you can't keep a secret from a stranger,". "This is a different father, it's a different situation,". "You don't say anything, Indigo. If you open your mouth you will mess up everything that we have built. None of them can find out how deep their connection is, especially Marley. You must keep an eye on her, keep her close,". "I already have one of my men on it," I said. "You better if you know what's good for you," father said as he unlocked his chair. He wheeled himself out of his office. I laid back in the chair, running my hands through my hair.