Chapter 5: The Nurse

I looked around the hospital, nurses, doctors and patients walked around. I walked over to the front desk. "Excuse me Miss. I work for the Acacia police department. I need to speak with Ora,". "Ora is busy right now, the only way you would be able to talk to her is if you have a gunshot wound or you can wait 5 hours until after her shift,". "Thank you," I said as I walked over to Donahue. He sat in one of the waiting room chairs. "So what did she say,". "She said that Ora is busy, we can't speak to her until after or shift or if one of us has a gunshot wound,". "I have an idea," Donahue said as he snatched my gun from my holster. "What are you doing," I shouted. Bang!

I sat in a chair, my leg shook nervously. I ran my hands through my hair and stood up. "What were you thinking Donahue, you can't go around shooting yourself for nothing. What if the bullet had missed your hand, you could've been dead," I shouted. "I don't have anything to live for anyway," he said as he lay in a hospital bed. A woman with short black hair walked into the room. "Hello, who is my patient today,". "Don,". "Hi Don, could you tell me how you got your injury," she asked as she looked down at her clipboard. "He shot himself," I said. "What," she asked as she looked up. "You heard her, I shot myself," Donahue said with a quick smirk. 

"Ma'am are you his girlfriend or wife,". "No way!," I said. "Okay, Mr. Don, why did you shoot yourself,". "I had to talk to you," he said. Ora sat down on her clipboard and washed her hands at the small sink. She dried off her hands and grabbed a roll of bandages from the nearby cabinet. "Extend your hand for me," she asked. Donahue stretched out his bloody hand, she grabbed a pair of tweezers from a tray. She picked at the bullet before pulling it out of his hand. She dropped it in a small tin pan. I watched as she poured alcohol into his hand. I chuckled to myself as Donahue squirmed from the pain. He saw me chuckling and glared at me before making a silly face at me. 

I fixed my posture and looked away. Ora sat the bandages down on the tray. "I'm all done, now what did you want to talk to me about," she said as she washed the blood from her hands. "We were sent here by Indigo Winters to recruit you into his team to solve a cold case gone south,". "It sounds thrilling, but I can't leave my job at the hospital to chase ghosts,". "You could still keep your job here, you'll just need to come in whenever he calls," I said. "Like I said I can't leave my job,". "You are connected to the case somehow," Donahue said. Ora stopped and turned to us, as she grabbed her clipboard. "Connected," she asked. "Yes, we are connected along with the other members of the team. We all are supposed to be here working together whether we like it or not," I said as I glared at Donahue. "I think I know how I'm connected and I'll help," she said. 

Here is the address to the building, you can go there after your shift," I said as I handed the piece of paper to her. She nodded as she walked to the door. "Could I keep my bullet," Donahue asked. "Sure," Ora said as she left the room. Donahue got out of the bed, he stuffed the bullet into his pocket.

I walked out of the room, we rode back to the building, I parked the car and Indigo met us inside of the garage. "Ora will come by once she's done with her shift at the hospital," I said. "Thank you. You both can go home for the day, I know you're both tired. I'll call you both when I need you here," Indigo said as he handed us each a phone. I walked out of the garage and down the street. I walked into my apartment complex. "Hi Jett,". "Hello Marley, how was your first day,". "You wouldn't believe me if I told you," I said as I walked up the stairs. I got to my door, I turned around and saw Donahue standing behind me. "I don't have anywhere to go so I was thinking,". "Let me stop you right there, I will not be letting you into my apartment,". I opened my door and closed it in his face. I locked the door and sighed as I threw my keys on the coffee table. I took off my shoes and walked into the bathroom. I took off my clothes and stood in the shower. The hot water ran down my back, I sighed.

There was a crash from outside the bathroom door. I turned off the water and grabbed a towel from the shelf beside me. I wrapped myself and grabbed my gun off the sink. I opened the door quietly and crept out. I looked around, I stopped in front of the kitchen. The refrigerator was wide open, blood was everywhere. "Show yourself," I said as I aimed my gun. Donahue poked his head from behind the sink, he held his hands up. "What are you doing in my apartment," I shouted. "You wouldn't let me in so I let myself in," he said as he closed my fridge. "Get out!," I shouted. "You sure you don't want to get dressed first before you put me out," he said as he walked from behind the counter. I walked over to my front door and closed it shut. "You will clean up your blood," I said as I shoved a cloth in his hand. I backed up into my room and locked the door behind me. I sighed and sat my gun down. I got dressed and walked out of my room. "I'm done," Donahue said. I grabbed my chest in fear. "Why were you hiding on the side of the wall," I asked as I took the cloth from him. I threw it in the trash. "You have a nice apartment, Marley,". "You need to get out of here," I said. 

There was a knock at the door, We both turned towards the door. "Marley are you okay," Jett asked through the door. I pushed Donahue behind the counter. "Stay here and be quiet," I said. I walked over to the door and opened it slightly. "Marley, I heard yelling. I wanted to check and make sure you were okay,". " I'm fine," I said quickly. "Okay, just be careful, I saw a strange man walk in. He may be dangerous,". "I'll keep an eye out for him," I said as I shut the door. I sighed as Jett's footsteps receded.

I looked over and saw Donahue messing with his hand. "Stop messing with your hand, you'll infect it," I said as I grabbed the first aid kit from the bathroom. I sat on the floor in front of him and wrapped up his hand. "Thank you," he said. I nodded as I stood up. I watched as he scratched his beard. "I know I'm going to regret asking but do want to take a shower and shave your beard,". He stood up quickly. "I could do that, really. That would mean a lot," he said. "Go ahead, I'll bring you some clothes," I said. I grabbed the clippers from the drawer and handed them to him. "Do you think you can shave your beard without cutting yourself," I asked. "I think I can," he said. 

I closed the door and went into my room. I searched through my drawers until I found some clothes. I walked back to the bathroom and put the clothes on the sink. I cleaned the rest of the blood from the counter. "You have great taste in clothing," he said as he walked out of the bathroom. I watched as he rubbed his smooth face. We locked eyes, and we both looked away. "Thank you, policewoman,". "Your welcome psych," I said. He walked over to the door and looked back at me. "I'm leaving, I'll see you whenever Indigo calls us,". "Hopefully not that soon,". "Likewise," he said as he closed the door. I locked my door and sat down on the couch. I stretched before laying down, I looked at the ceiling. "What a day,".