Chapter 8: Conversations Over Dinner

Two Days Later -

Marley's Pov:

"Nova, I have another Incident report for you to put in the system," Moon said as he dropped the file on my desk. "Thank you," I said as I continued typing. "Do you want to go out with me," he asked. I looked up from my computer at him. "Yeah, why not," I said. "I'll come to your apartment and pick you up. Here you can put your number in," Moon said as he passed me his phone. I put in my phone number and texted him my address. "I'll see you at 7," he said as he smiled.

 He walked away and I turned back to my computer. I finished all of the incident reports and sat back in my chair. I watched the news as a woman reported. "The Gracie Clover case was opened up almost a week ago but no progress has been made yet. Captain Morgan of the Acacia Police Department has told us he has his best men on the case, as for the two newbies their whereabouts are unknown.

 People are speculating, were those two recruits just fake news, did the captain say this to get the public on his side and if they are real what are they really doing,". I scoffed as I stood up, I grabbed my jacket and walked out of the door.

I walked to my apartment and took a shower. There was a knock at my door soon after, Moon stood wearing a suit. "You look great," he said. The dress I wore was old, I hadn't worn it since my highschool graduation. "Thank you," I said as I closed my door. We walked out of the apartment and down the street. 

We got to a fancy restaurant and sat down. A waiter came over to us, sitting down two glasses of wine. "What can I get for you both,". "I'll have steak and potatoes,". "For you ma'am the waiter asked as he looked at me. "I'll just take a salad," I said. "Coming right up," the waiter said as he walked away. I took a sip of my wine and sat my glass back down. "So, how has your work been so far,". "It's been crazy, we just got the entire team together a couple of days ago,". "Do you like your team," he asked. "I mean I can't say I don't like the team, it's just a certain person that really makes me tick,". "I'll take care of them for you," Moon said. "Uh, no. He would break you in half if he ever had the chance," I said as I took a sip of my wine. 

"That's not even the craziest part," I said. "I'm listening,". "So my team has a professional racecar driver, thief, nurse, librarian, blacksmith, and the guy that makes me tick is a psychopath that was just let out the ward,". "Is that safe, shouldn't he be isolated," Moon asked. "No, it's fine. If he ever did try anything I wouldn't hesitate,". The waiter walked over and brought our food. "Enjoy," he said as he walked away.

 We ate our food, and Moon walked me back to my apartment. "I appreciate tonight, it really got my mind off of the recent stress,". "I'm glad I could help Nova,". He gave me a quick kiss on the lips and walked away. "I'll see you at the station," he said.

I grabbed the knob for my door but it was already open. I grabbed my gun and pushed the door open with my shoe. I looked around and Donahue was sitting on a chair with a magazine in his hand. I sighed in relief and closed my door. "How do you keep getting into my apartment," I said as I sat my gun down. "How was your date," he asked as he lowered the magazine. "That's none of your business," I said as I walked into my room. "Why are you here," I said as I changed my clothes. "I brought you dinner but it seems like you've already eaten,". I walked out of the room and snatched my magazine from his hands. "I didn't eat much, why did you bring me food," I asked as I looked over at the two white trays on the counter. "I wanted to apologize for the uncomfortable situation a few days ago," he said as he stood up. "No need to apologize, you did what needed to be done," I said as I opened the tray. 

The smell of yellow rice and orange chicken lit up the room. "Where did you get this,". "From the shop across from the police station," he said as he grabbed the other tray. Donahue sat down on the couch, and I sat beside him. I grabbed his bandaged hand examining it. "How is your hand feeling,". "Fine, it still hurts, but nothing I can't handle," he said as he pulled his hand back. We sat in silence as we ate. I could see him stealing glances at me the entire time. "You have something on your face," Donahue said as he looked down at his tray. 

I began feeling my face for whatever was on it. Donahue turned to me, with his fork in his hand. He quickly put the fork down and grabbed my hand, placing it on my cheek. "Right there," he said as he let go of my hand. I dusted off the piece of rice on my cheek. "I'll take your tray," I said as I stood up. "No, it's fine. I'll take it with me," he said as he stood up. I watched as Donahue walked to the door. He opened the door and left my apartment. I threw my tray in the trash and sat on the couch.