Part 23: The Game Of Luck

Charred stone and ashes

They had found the manor house burnt down to the ground. Its formerly solid hulk reduced to charred stone and ashes.

It was the third one in the area like this. Deserted. Its occupants singed to a crisp. The peasants who had worked the fields long fled.

"My Lord, look," said the sergeant pointing at the remains.

"Disgusting," replied general Aktal, not even bothering to get off his horse.

"The rebels have been through the area. The peasants probably joined them," continued the sergeant.

General Aktal, his cape flowing in the wind, shook his head. He had spent months going on what has amounted to a wild goose chase.

"So much for the decisive action," mumbled the general.

This Balko was proving to be much more of a hassle than previously envisaged. The general had underestimated him. He had thought, he were some low-level rabble rouser, like the countless that came before him.

No, this man was different. He was not just a persuasive speaker, but also a skilled tactician. The way he had been able to ambush the king's troops, and keep his own people hidden, spoke to his talent.

This was no longer a simple peasant revolt. It was a full-scale uprising, one that was scorching the entire countryside of the north-east of Akelon. Many noblemen had been forced off their land or killed. The rest lived in fear.

What made everything more difficult was the terrain. This part of the country was hilly and wooded. This gave the rebels sufficient places to hide. It also made it nearly impossible to dislodge them.

The Baudanians were helping the rebels. Of this, he was certain. It would not be a large, overt type of aid, since they didn't want to inspire the peasants on their own side of the border. However, it was significant enough so as to stir trouble in Akelon.

That's why it was of utmost importance to get prince Tiltus named as the official heir. With his good relations in the court of Baudan, he could smooth over any of the conflicts stirring between the two kingdoms. That could persuade them to cut the helping hand they were extending to the uprising.

Before that happens, the headache that is Balko and his rebels will only continue to grow. If he isn't taken care of soon, unrest could spread to other parts of the country. Soon, there could be chaos.

"Sir. We have captured a man who was loitering around. He says he came here to pass on information that could be interesting for us," said a soldier as he rode up to the general.

"Interesting you say? Bring him over to me," replied the general.

A group of soldiers brought over a lanky, scruffy looking man. Dressed in dirty white pants, and a torn white shirt, he didn't seem particularly impressive. His hands were tied behind his back, in case he tried something.

"He says he was one of Balko's lieutenants."

"Is that right?" The general looked the man square in the eyes.

"Yes, sire. I was. I have some things that could be of interest to you," replied the man in the torn white shirt.

"Why should we trust you?"

"You don't have to," said the peasant prisoner, "but I am pretty sure it will be worth your while if you do."

--

The game of luck

Sitting on the balcony of the Aktal palace in Akelon, the panorama of the city spread in all directions. Its tiled rooftops were too many to count, only interrupted by the occasional spire that towered over them. Narrow cobblestone streets wound through the labyrinthine structures, bustling with the ebb and flow of daily life.