60. glances

Chapter Song: Naica - PD Liddle

XX

Back at the house, Jack seems to move with a new determination, a new energy. He calls several older wolves and those who coordinate various aspects of pack life and protection—including Marney and Sage—and we gather in his study for the afternoon. We each go over what we know. How did we come to know about Paul? What is our experience with the leg holds? What exactly happened the night of Max's death—what did each of us experience?

There were discrepancies in all of our accounts of the night that Isaac made it onto the territory. It wasn't just Jack and I who were thrown by the sound of howling wolves; each person in the room seemed to be able to place Isaac at a different point on the territory.

"How is that possible?" Hayden's voice goes quiet as our gazes each turn to the floor. It isn't possible; that's the point. That's the horrible, unavoidable problem.

I realize, then, that even while I stare at the floor, all eyes have turned to me. Jack gently touches my arm, and when I don't respond, more firmly squeezes my elbow. It's a nice gesture, a reassurance when I suddenly feel so unsure of myself again.

"You know Paul and Isaac," Sage says softly.

"I don't, I really don't."

"Better than any of us," she trails off. "What I mean is, we don't have very much to go off of. And—"

"And there is no way I can give you something better."

When I look up, Sage smiles at me and shakes her head. "What I'm trying to say is, I believe you. Anything you share is gets us further than we've been before."

I steal a breath, and as I meet the gazes of the wolves in the room, I try to lift my chin a bit despite the way the gesture rings false with the dread in my heart. "I believe in the curse."

Several wolves dart stares at each other before turning their eyes evenly back to me—but I've already caught the gesture. Jack takes a step closer to me and nods.

"Tell them why."

"Jack," Marney begins, offering me an apologetic lift at the corner of her lips. "Are you saying that you believe it too? I mean there's taboo, and then there's superstition..."

"How could I not? How could any of you think that what has happened here is anything other than a curse?"

"Terrible things have happened to wolves throughout time. Are you saying that what we've suffered isn't the cruelty of men, but of a curse? That we brought upon ourselves?"

"That isn't what I said."

"Then—"

"Isaac wanted to break the curse," I cut in quietly, and the room silences. "He thought Paul could help him do it; at least, Paul told him that he could. Regardless of what you believe, Paul and Isaac are acting based on belief in the curse, and I think we have to act accordingly."

"Maybe they're simply delusional," Marney suggested, trailing off.

"I think Paul knows more than we do. Maybe much more. Can we all agree that the appearance of the leg holds is somehow tied to him?"

Slow nods around the room.

"And surely we can all agree that the appearance of the leg holds hasn't...matched expectations. They've appeared without warning, without any breach of the border. They are set without any signs of broken earth around them."

Again, nods, and Hayden clears his throat. "We all heard or saw Isaac that night. We have no way to explain how he could be in so many places at once, or what kind of trick could make us believe it. All we have is Isaac's connection to Paul."