54. echoes

Chapter Song: You Are the Apple - Lady Lamb

XX

"Jack," I whisper, and he grimaces. "Is it him?"

I push from the wall and step toward the room behind him, feeling his desire to reach out to me even as I pass him.

"Come on, Layla."

"Is it him?"

He's stepping into the room after me, quicker than I can move, until his body is blocking my way. The trill of the ringtone sets blood rushing through my ears, and when I take another step Jack finally reaches for me. His fingers curl around my arms and he pulls me a little closer, blocking even my view of the phone. "It isn't worth it," he says, and his voice is once again a growl. "Why would you want to talk to him?"

"If my life is being bartered I want to be involved."

"I'm not bartering with him. I'm not answering his calls."

"What if he gives me information about Paul? He won't be expecting me to answer."

"No, Layla."

"Jack," I drag in a breath and try to tug out of his grasp. "Let go of me."

"Just let it go."

"You can't dictate what I can and can't do."

"Christ, Layla, I'm trying to help you. He nearly killed you, he doesn't deserve to talk to you."

"But Paul—"

"Isn't worth that conversation."

"Let go of me."

"Layla—"

"Get your fucking hands off of me!"

He screws his eyes shut and heaves a sigh like a snarl before dropping his hands. When I move past him, he looks after me with a dark expression. "Layla," he warns again, but I'm already picking up his phone. Jack doesn't move to stop me now, and there's a glint of something like worry in his eye. Maybe he's afraid I'll find out something I shouldn't.

I answer the phone and hold it to my ear, and there is a heavy silence on the other end.

"Courtland," Isaac growls. His voice is like a knife, like a fucking knife. It knocks the air from my lungs and I find I can't say anything at all. "Are you going to say something?"

But I can't, I absolutely can't. Maybe Jack was right, maybe knowledge of Isaac, of what is said without my input, will only make me suffer more. I try to pull in a breath but nothing comes. There's a long pause, and I realize that Isaac is holding his breath too.

"Layla?" His voice is so soft now, so horribly hopeful. "That's you isn't it."

"Yes."

I hear the sharp intake of breath. "Are you okay?" His voice is hollow, a little shaken. He doesn't want to know the answer.

"I'm alive." I glance up to find Jack watching me, shoulders tight like he's ready to knock the phone out of my hand.

"Is he keeping you there?"

I try to speak but can't. Did he expect that Jack would stop me from leaving? And is that what's happening here? "No," I lie.

"You can't trust him, Layla."

"I don't."

"Look," he begins, and his voice is so soft, so gentle. Like he used to whisper to me after we'd had sex, when he would hold me and make me feel whole again for just a little while. "I need to talk to you."