Chapter 39: Parents

Start from the beginning

"I'd like to see you try." He smiled.

"You're trying my patience this morning." I narrowed my eyes and pointed my fork at him.

"Sorry, sorry." He raised his hands in surrender. "But you look adorable trying to sound tough."

"Trying?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes." He put his hand on my chair and pulled me closer with it. "You're not doing very well." He kissed me.

I should have pulled away and said something to him, but it was impossible. I am weak against his charms.

"Please tell me you don't have to go to work today." He asked as he pulled back a bit after a while.

"Later." I had a sour look on my face. "I'm not ready to go back to normal after this weekend." I let out a disappointed breath.

"We can run away."

"Yeah, right." I laughed and turned to the plate. "Also, I'm going to see my mother and I thought I'd go check on my father as well."

"Sunshine..."

"He's still my father. I know he's done bad things, but..."

"He hit you and stole your money." He cut me off.

"You don't have to remind me, I was there. But still."

"You're too good for this world, I hope you know that. But I'm going with you."

"You don't have to. I'll be fine."

"Lexi, I didn't ask. I won't let you go after him alone. I don't want to argue with you..."

"Then don't." I jumped into his speech. "I understand you're trying to protect me, but you won't be with me 24/7."

"Why not?"

"Finn." I looked at him seriously.

"Fine, go, but so as much touches you and he'll end up in a hospital."

"You promised not to fight."

"Yes, but did the others promise as well?" He raised an eyebrow.

"You're unbelievable, you know that?" I snorted.

"Call me what you want, but I'll always make sure you're okay."

And even though I was glad for that, I hoped he wouldn't have to protect me from my own father again.

*****

"Rachel, hi." I greeted her the moment I walked through the door.

"Lexi." Her face lit up. "Good to see you." She walked around the counter to me and hugged me. "I have some good news for you."

I didn't know if my heart had stopped beating or if it was beating so fast that it couldn't be registered. "Really?"

"Yes." She said with a smile. "The specialist talked to your mother and she talked about her past without any problems. Also about people."

"Are you serious?" I ran my hands over my face. "Was talking about me too?"

"Well..." Her smile dropped slightly. "She mainly talked about her childhood and college studies."

"So she doesn't know who I am." And even though it hurt, at least she remembered something.

"I'm sure she'll remember that in no time." She grabbed my shoulder.

"Thank you, Rachel." I squeezed her hand and left to see my mother. I knocked on her door and found her in her usual place.

I had to introduce myself to her again, but Rachel was right, while I was telling her about this weekend, she compared some things to her past.