Vol.0 Chapter 3: A tragic backstory?

Timeline: 8 years after Cid's birth

Narrator's POV:

It's been two years since Cid met his "father" for the first time. The curriculum has had a tremendous increase in difficulty, to the point where Cid couldn't keep up his mob persona and had to go all out. This allowed the facility to finally measure the totality of his talents.

One instructor was particularly interested in the results of those measurements. He had requested the person in charge to see them, and after a few days of waiting, they allowed him to see them.

'I have been waiting for this day for 3 long years. I was one of the first people to notice that kid's talent. I wanted to make that kid show his real strength for me to see his limits, but I had to wait a few months for me to get a position in this facility that allowed me to read those documents. Now, let's stop wasting time with my inner monologue and get to the good stuff.'

He then picked up the document and started reading it.

Kagenou Cid

He is the student with the highest potential that white room has ever had and probably will ever have. His physical talent allows him to copy any martial art that he has seen even once, his intellect allows him to absorb any new information that is taught to him and his acting ability is higher than most, if not all, Hollywood celebrities. But all of those talents are nothing compared to his absurd intuition. It is so good that some instructors almost confused it for some form of precognition. The only reason why his intellect is still measured at "just" genius level is because he doesn't fully trust his own intuition.

'I was right! He really is a monster! I wasn't able to confirm my thoughts about him before, but now everything is clear to me.' He thought with excitement, before going back and re-reading with more attention.

'I remember seeing his intuition in action a few times. One of the most impressive ones was a few months ago when I was in charge of eavesdropping the conversations between students. I think it went a little something like this...'

***Flashback***

"Cid, tomorrow is the day we use the virtual console, right?" Yuki said with a hint of excitement in her voice.

"I think so. Why are you asking me that?" Cid responded.

"Because it's my favorite activity! It teaches us about the outside world and shows that there is more in life than just this boring white place." Yuki responded, now with a big smile plastered across her face.

"You always start ranting like that when we speak about the outside. It's getting a bit annoying." 

"I'M NOT ANNOYING!" 

"I didn't say you were." 

"You didn't?"

"I didn't."

"Okay, I'll believe you this time."

"Going back to our original topic, I don't think that we will be using the console tomorrow."

"Why do you think so?"

"I don't know, just a gut feeling."

"I hope it's wrong then."

***Flashback ends***

'The next day, we found out that the console had malfunctioned, which means that his "gut feeling" knew that there was a problem before we did. The main theory as to how he did it is that when he used the console a week before, he subconsciously noticed that there was something a bit wrong with it and his brain used that piece of information to infer that it was in need of repairs.'