Chapter 15

A/N: I'm sorry if not everyone can speak- but it's hard to include so many characters. I'll do my best!

Sophie couldn't believe those words had left the mouths of her friends.

Well- she could technically believe it , it was just that there was normally way more frenzied arguing about who would do what and go where.

"Really?" she whispered.

Edaline sighed. "Well... I can't pretend I wasn't worried about you when you first vanished."

Sophie didn't need to be reminded of that.

She was pretty sure she still had bruises from all the tackle hugs and earache from all the "Where were you?"s and the "We were so worried,"s and even the "You are so in for it," s.

But she was still glad they trusted her now.

"Okay," she said with a deep breath. "This time, everyone is in. Regardless of... anything. And we need a plan."

"I can be lookout again," Stina volunteered.

She didn't really have much to add to the team, so.. "Sure," Sophie agreed.

"I'm coming," Biana said immediately.

"Are you-"

"Sure? Of course I'm sure. My ability can be useful sometimes- especially with your enhancing in the mix. That makes a pretty good combo. Besides, I need to... get in the game."

And Glim-Rayni said, "I'd be a better lookout. I'm not ready to face Gisela yet."

"Of course you are," Stina muttered, but Sophie understood.

It had been hard enough for her to face Keefe for what she'd done to him- and Sophie was pretty sure that Keefe hadn't fully forgiven her yet.

But- she couldn't blame her.

"I'm not sure if this is the appropriate course of action," Mr. Forkle started.

"Alternative suggestions, then?" Sophie asked.

"What I mean is that everyone will want to go, Miss Foster. But we have to be reasonable. Some people will stay behind, and some people will go. Not just as lookout. We need communication."

"I think I can handle that," Ro called, sauntering into the room.

"Who flipped her switch on?" Keefe asked.

"Uh, you better watch out, Funkyhair. Like it or not, I still have the upper hand."

Thankfully, she didn't look at Sophie.

But she had a feeling Ro wanted to- though this wasn't the time to think about that.

"Right," Sophie continued. "What do you mean you can handle it?"

"I mean, I have good security and so I'm the better bodyguard to take along- way better than goblins who fall down holes and get beaten up by trolls."
(SO sorry about the rhyme.)

From outside the door, she heard a few goblin growls- proof that they'd been eavesdropping.

The sneaks.

"Uh, you might want to be careful if you want to avoid a goblin stampede," Maruca warned.

"Sandor does not sound happy," Wylie agreed.

"Meh. Anyway, you're not leaving me out this time."

"Fine. Ro's coming. Anyone else?" Sophie said quickly as everyone opened their mouths.

After a while, it was decided.

Sophie, Keefe, Marella, Linh, Dex, Tam, Fitz, Azzie, Rogan and Biana would go along with Ro - because Marella was needed in the fire department, Linh needed to balance her out, Azzie and Rogan because no one knew the place better than them, and Keefe-well.

He was too involved in all of this to stay back.

And he needed for his mother to finish Stellarlune to make him go back to normal.

No matter how much he was denying it.

And Stina, Rayni, Maruca and the rest would stay behind- even though leaving Rayni and Stina together was probably not the best idea.

Maruca's force fields weren't needed so much anymore for her than they were for the Lost Cities- and even when Maruca protested, Sophie said she would rather have the majority of people safe than just her and a few others.

"We're really doing this," she whispered, holding the starstone up to the light.

Edaline squeezed her shoulder. "You really are."

"Be careful," Alden said, for what felt like the first time.

"Stay safe," Della said, her beautiful features strained.

"Behave," Grady told them, glaring at how close Keefe was standing to Sophie.

But Mr. Forkle simply blinked hard.

"What's the matter?" Sophie asked him.

"I never imagined you so independent. I guess I was not accustomed to the idea of you growing up. But now that you have-"

"-we know that we made the right choice with you," Granite finished.

Forkle nodded. "You truly are our moonlark."

Sophie's eyes burned as she whispered goodbyes to everyone and let the gentle light bathe her and her friends as it took hem away.

I am the moonlark.

Sophie had never had that thought so clearly before. Not when she faced off the Neverseen. Not when fighting King Enki. Not when having it declared by Calla.

But today, the words couldn't have felt more true.