Chapter 26 - Language, Doctor

"Alright team, you have your mission. Good luck."

Since Sterling resurfaced, the team never took their eyes off him. And today, they finally got him. So this was an 'all hands on deck' situation.

Well, almost.

The team was geared up with 'Strategic Programmable Asset Radial Connectivity' devices.

S.P.A.R.C.

It was Tony's idea to name the prototype, since it was no longer a prototype.

And to ensure the mission ran smoothly with the use of these devices, Tony and Bruce stayed back in the lab with complete remote access to each device.

That, paired with a multitude of surveillance and satellite information, the two lab dwellers were essentially the 'Eyes of God' for the team. Plus, it was a good excuse not to leave (Y/n) alone.

"You got eyes on him, Stark?"

"Of course I've got eyes on him, Cap. What do you think we're doing here??"

-

"Well shit..."

"Language, Doctor."

"Seriously, Steve? We've just infiltrated a highly secure hydra base and let their main man slip away, again. I'm sure we can let Dr. Strange over there say a few bad words."

"It's fine, Natasha." Stephen chucked, catching his breath.

And unfortunately, she was right. They had just let Sterling slip right through their fingers yet again.

"Yeah, but he's got nothing. He'll go into hiding. Because the rest of Hydra will be after him." Steve informed, placing himself under Nat's arm for support.

"I guess that's what you get when you lead 'The Avengers' straight to Hydra's main base." Stephen said, leaving the building with the rest of the team and moving to assemble on the jet.

"We may have let him get away, but all of their assets and supplies are gone. They won't be bothering us for a long time, I'm sure." Thor added, finding a seat on the jet as the last of the team clambered aboard.

"You all put up a great fight. Good work. We'll see you back here soon-" Tony, quite quickly, said his goodbye before hanging up his comm.

"Well that was-"

"Abrupt?"

"I'm sure Stark has already got a long list of improvements for these little things that he's eager to start on." Clint said, holding up his device.

"But he's right. Great work team." Steve finished as they all made themselves comfortable for the long ride home.

-

"Alright Banner, I'm thinking we up the calibre of the- Bruce are you even listening...?"

Back in the lab, Bruce's attention was fully drawn to the bed on the other side of the room. Its inhabitant, being unconscious for weeks, was now shifting uncomfortably in her sleep.

"Tony..."

Bruce nudged his lab partner, turning both their attentions onto (Y/n).

"Shit-"

And they both rushed over to her bed, finding the monitors either side of her.

"Everything looks fine over here..."

"Same here... It looks like most of the chemical agent has left her system."

They shared a look before they both glanced down at her, noticing her features start to muddle into that of discomfort. Tony bent down to her side, letting his hand gently stroke her hair out of her face, and trying his best to calm her.