Chapter 18 - I Guess People Change

"So, can either of you guys tell me why Stark is throwing a Halloween party before it's actually Halloween?"

The three women found themselves in a costume store, flicking through the many racks of tacky, cheap party costumes.

"He's throwing it one week early (Y/n), it's not like it's July." Nat replied, finding her eyes landing on a sexy nurse outfit.

(Y/n) looked up at her before seeing the costume in her hand. She nudged Wanda, who happened to be holding up a male nurse costume.

"You know, Vis and I were planning a couples costume. You and Steve should as well." Wanda said, holding up the costume bag to Nat and seeing her flush, slightly embarrassed that she had already given it the thought.

"Psh. Rogers and I just started seeing each other. We aren't practically married like you and Vision."

"Wow. And here I am without a date." (Y/n) cut in, playfully rolling her eyes as she tapped between the racks, evidently bored.

"Bullshit. We all know there's something between you and Stephen. You just don't want to admit it." Nat spoke, casually taking the nurse costume out of Wanda's hands.

"Seriously though, what is going on between you both." Wanda asked, that motherly tone of hers rising up.

(Y/n) sighed.

She genuinely didn't know.

Her eyes found the old, tattered carpet floor of the store as she felt Wanda's hand on her shoulder.

"I-"

She stopped herself.

She didn't know why, but she suddenly felt the urge to cry. Now that she started really thinking about it, she started to feel overwhelmed. The other two women stopped their shopping momentarily to comfort their friend.

"You're ok. We're here." Wanda said, pulling (Y/n) in for a hug.

Nat walked up from behind and sandwiched (Y/n) with another hug, making all three of them giggle. When they moved away from the embrace, Nat brushed some of (Y/n)'s hair out of her face, letting her think before she finally spoke.

"I just don't want to get hurt again."

Wanda and Nat looked up at each other, sharing a sad glance before they turned back to (Y/n).

"You do know we would absolutely destroy his ass if he did, right?"

"I know. And you know I would too. I would just rather not have to deal with any of that. Again. You don't get it." (Y/n) sighed before she continued. "I- I loved him. At least, I think I did. Seeing him again after all this time, it just all felt so easy. Just like before. But I don't want it to be like before. I don't want him to use me. Not again. I mean, he hasn't even apologised for what he said, so clearly he hasn't seen anything wrong with it!"

(Y/n) turned back around and started to busy her hands with flicking through more costumes.

"Well, he clearly feels something for you."

"Stop lying to yourself." (Y/n) scoffed.

"It's true! Everyone at the club could see it between the two of you! The way you both look at each other. The way you both joke and talk and laugh. Seriously (Y/n), the only person who doesn't see it is you." Nat started, growing slightly annoyed at her friend's ignorance.

"That's the problem. I do see it. I see it and I see what I want to see. But I also see exactly what happened two years ago. He was the same when it came to us. Touchy, flirty, funny... and it was all a lie!"