Chapter 13 - You Should Go.

Stephen woke up the next morning to an empty bed.

He remembered vaguely being snuggled under (Y/n)'s arms as he fell back asleep.

He was used to having this occasional nightmare, reliving his crash was always unpleasant. But last night, his dream had changed.

Last night, he wasn't the only one in the car.

As the car flew off the cliff, Stephen saw his passenger seat occupied. And when the car had settled in the water, he saw (Y/n), hanging in her seat, dead.

It truly scared him to think that if they had never gotten into that fight, she might have ended up in that car crash with him.

Or would they have crashed at all?

He heard his door open, and saw (Y/n), still in her pyjamas, holding two steaming mugs of coffee.

Her hair was still a mess, and after she had managed to close the door behind her, being extremely careful not to spill either of the mugs, she noticed Stephen awake and sitting up.

"Morning." She smiled, moving to his side of the bed to place a mug down on his night stand before moving to the other side. She sat on his bed next to him, legs crossed and mug in hand.

"You feeling ok?" she asked, worry evident over her face.

"I am now." He smiled, taking a sip from his mug.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Stephen was hesitant for a moment and stared into his mug.

"We don't have to." (Y/n) added, placing a hand on his arm. He knew she would always be there to talk to whenever he was ready, at least he hoped, and so he looked up and smiled.

"I'm surprised you haven't started your day already." He said, noticing the time, and the change of subject caught her eye.

"Yeah, well, I didn't want to leave you in case something else happened."

Stephen's heart panged.

Hearing words like that leave her mouth.

Her admitting to being worried about him, and caring.

He didn't know why this shocked him, but he instantly felt like a teenager with a crush again.

"Thank you..." He mumbled before going in for another sip. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

He paused for a moment before he spoke.

"Why did you leave...?"

Stephen's dream had prompted so many memories and questions.

The biggest of which was her sudden disappearance.

Where did she go?

Why didn't she at least say goodbye?

How was it that after two years of zero contact they so happened to be living in the same superhero filled skyscraper?

"It's... complicated."

Stephen raised his mug to his lips, staring at her, waiting for her to continue. She struggled to find the words to even begin.

"Can I... show you?"

He looked confused.

She had set her mug down and moved onto her knees to face him. He saw her play with her rings, and started to understand where she was going.

"May I?"

She had moved to grab one of his hands after he placed his mug back down.

And he let her.