18 - Battle Over Breakfast

When Anne and I woke up for class the next morning I was sure she would bring up our odd run-in last night, but she remained uncharacteristically silent about the whole thing. Where I thought I would feel relief from not being peppered with her questions, I found myself a little disappointed. Disappointed because I was now left with my own unanswered questions bouncing around in my head.

What had she and Sabastian discussed for over an hour last night? Were they discussing his behavior or mine? Did he tell her about my date? Did he tell her how he'd punched that date in the face?

I almost felt like a child waiting to be told off by a family member, and I had to remind myself that there was nothing wrong with going on a date with Lawrence Davies.

"Hey Anne?" I begin, as I work to fasten the tie of my school uniform. "I've got some business to attend to tonight. After curfew. Would you cover for me in case anyone comes looking?"

"And what sort of trouble are you getting into now?" She breathed in that 'big sisterly' tone I've come to expect from her whenever she found out I'd made plans to break some assortment of school rules. Although she was younger than me, she tended to mother us all a little.

"I need to sneak into Sharp's stores fo-"

"Actually," She interrupted, raising a hand to stop me. "The less I know the better, I think." She laughed as she walked over to help straighten my tie.

Though accepting of my more mischievous endeavors, she was not interested in getting caught up in them. A survival tactic I'm sure she learned from her years of being related to Sebastian. Speaking of which, I was pleased to find he was not waiting to pounce on me the second Anne and I left for the Great Hall.

On our way there I managed to spot the happily bobbing head of Poppy Sweeting, making her way to breakfast with her fellow Hufflepuffs. Anne and I wove our way though the crowd of hungry students in order to catch up to her, where I promptly jabbed her in the ribs with my thumb. She let out a little squeak of surprise and discomfort, which I considered my small form of payback for ditching me with Lawrence yesterday.

"I hope you're happy." I grumble, my nose in the air, feigning indignation. It was hard to stay mad at Poppy with her contagious smile and generally happy-go-lucky attitude, but I would try.

"If Davies asked you out then yes, extremely." She said hooking her arm under mine. "He did ask you out, didn't he?"

"Well, yes, but that's besides the point." I retorted, side eyeing Anne to catch her expression. She didn't appear to be surprised in the slightest, so I suppose Sebastian had told her about my date. At least that's one question answered, and one less person I needed tell before seeing him for breakfast this morning.

"It was actually my exact point. I love it when a plan comes together." She sighed happily, sounding rather proud of herself.

"Well, did your brilliant plan involve Sebastian punching him in the face when he saw us coming back from our date last night?"

"He did what?" Anne finally piped in, her head whipping in our direction. Seems Sebastian had conveniently left that part out when recanting his version of events to her last night. I had planned to wait up for Anne, but by ten o'clock when she hadn't returned I called it a night.

Poppy's mouth fell open in response, and I extended a finger under her chin to close it for her.

We pushed through the large wooden doors of the Great Hall to find Lawrence already inside, chatting with the other members of the Gryffindor quidditch team. He soon took notice of us and made his way over.