5 - Sebastian's Surprise (pt1)

Monday morning I woke up to Anne dramatically flinging my bed curtains open, exposing me to the morning light. I let out a groan of displeasure at the harsh sun now blaring through my curtains. Anne ignored my non-verbal indignation and stepped up onto my bed.

"Wake. Up. Sleepy. Head!" She called happily, jumping on my bed between each word.

"Five more minutes." I pleaded, pulling my pillow over my face. My nightmares having paid me a visit last night, means I didn't get the best sleep. The Keepers didn't know why I was having these horrible dreams, but they had a theory. They thought that since Isadora's magic store had been made with such negative emotions, those negative emotions were now manifesting themselves in my dreams. Lucky me. 

"Nope." She refused, dropping to her knees and taking the pillow from my face. "Don't make me give you your birthday bumps with a pillow." She jokingly threatened, holding my pillow like a baseball bat, ready to swing.

My birthday. It was my eighteenth birthday today, and it felt odd to think about. Second to Ominis, who's birthday was over the summer holiday, I was the oldest of my friends.

"Aren't you supposed to be nice to me on my birthday?" I asked sitting up and getting out of bed.

"What could you possibly mean?" She feigned offence. "I would think waking you up to make sure you're not late for class is extremally nice of me."

Anne laughed as I finally got dressed for the day.

---------------

Breakfast was fairly normal. The exception being the classmates that came over to give me well wishes, and Poppy who opted to sit at the Slytherin table with us rather than her own.

After breakfast however, I left the Great Hall with Natty as we both had Ancient Runes first period. I had decided that, after everything involving my Ancient Magic over the years, taking Ancient Runes might prove useful. If my magic was a long forgotten power, maybe Ancient Runes was the closest link I had to learning about it. Though most of the subject was theoretical it helped me to at least feel like I was on the right path.

Professor Rhinum was about the same age as Professor Garlick, and relatively new, having only started last year. Though he had led quite the interesting life prior to teaching at Hogwarts, working as a curse breaker for Gringotts. He was often permitted to keep old stone tablets inscribed with ancient runes from the sites he worked, or at least the ones Gringotts deemed worthless. So it was very interesting to get the chance to see actual runes, rather than etchings or photographs.

Class today was a quiz of sorts. We were to work in pairs and attempting to decipher a stone slab the professor had obtained over the summer this year. 

The moment I saw the stone tablet we would be deciphering, I felt a rush of excitement boiling inside of me. Though there were runes etched into the stone itself, there was something else too. As if floating over the runes on the stone, the blue shine of ancient magic wrote another story over top of them. I knew taking ancient runes would pay off.

Without raising too much suspicion I quietly whispered to Natty. "Don't react, but there is Ancient Magic on that tablet."

"What?" She whispered back sounding confused and slightly concerned. Many students remembered the battle under Hogwarts as a harrowing time, and caused many to be wary of anything containing Ancient Magic. With this in mind Professor Weasley and I had decided to tell the students, and the world, that the magic had been destroyed rather than contained within me. 

"Yes, but its just more runes. Can you work on the ones you can see and I'll work on mine?" I didn't want to start a panic about our teacher having brought more of this magic into the school, but I needed to know what it said.