13 - Dreams and Discoveries

"You're going to be alright...."

"You need to be alright, or... I don't know what I'll do..."

"I was supposed to hear you laugh one more time..."

"Please....Don't leave me too...."

--------------- 

"Bones, I can mend faster than students can invent new ways to break them." Nurse Blainey said proudly. "It's what's in your head that can't be mended so easily."

"But a whole week?" I protested.

"The mind requires slow and exact magic to avoid damage. Unless you'd like to spend that time at St.Mungos instead?" She offered in a veiled threat.

With that, I silently resigned, but I couldn't hide my obvious disappointment as I sunk back into the white sheets of the hospital bed.

"That's what I thought" Nurse Blainey said in a matter of fact tone. "Now rest. And drink this."

 She handed me a glass containing a purple-black pearlescent potion, and I drank it without complaint. Although it wasn't the most pleasant thing that's ever graced my taste buds, the near slime consistency didn't do it any favours. 

"Now eat your dinner, and no getting out of bed." She instructed, giving me the once over above her half moon spectacles before taking the empty glass from me.

"Yes ma'am." I confirmed before she left my side, to attending to a fourth year two beds over.

The gangly strawberry blonde Gryffindor had somehow managed to ingest a Bubotuber. Apparently it was in he attempt to rid himself of the every growing acne on his face. Somehow how had come to be under the misguided impression that he was supposed to eat it, rather than cover his face in the bulbs pus. Turns out, the consequence of eating a Bubotuber was that the lymph's under his chin grew to be collectively the size of a quaffle.

It made me glad that so far my worse consequence was the headache that never seemed to subside.

A house elf named Fimsey brought over a tray with an assortment of foods from the dining hall. She was a thin, spry little thing, with some of the droopiest ears I think I'd ever seen on an elf. Apparently her previous master had been one of the head healers at St. Mungos, and she was brought to the school shortly after he passed away last year. Since she had many years of experience attended to the daily needs of the patients, the school decided that the the hospital wing would be the best place for her. She was quite sweet and seemed to genuinely enjoy her work if not a little overzealous, having offed to fluff my pillow several times already.

Shortly after dinner, I got a few visitors. Anne, Sebastian, Ominis, Poppy, and Natty all walked jauntily into the hospital wing to greet me.

Upon seeing me, Poppy immediately gave me a tight hug.

"I'm so glad you're okay. I had heard that a student had been hit with a bludger, but I only came to find out it was you when you in charms this morning. I was so worried about you. Professor Weasley wouldn't let us come earlier, or else I would have been here as soon as I heard." Poppy rambled while maintaining our embrace, which inadvertently forcing me to wince, but it was nice to know how much she cared.

"I'm okay Poppy, honestly." I said patting her back, now attempting to comfort her.

"Poppy, she's already had her skull cracked open, are you trying to suffocate her too?" Anne joked as she sat on the other side of my bed. Poppy let go after realizing how tight she had actually been squeezing, and moved to fluff my pillow instead. She clearly needed something to keep herself preoccupied.