8 - Haunted House Horrors

3rd Person: Sebastian's POV

Sebastian descended the ladder into the dimly lit cellar, finding himself in a rocky cave like hallway, roots growing in from the ceiling and walls. The moment both his feet touched the cold ground, the ladder became a blue shimmering smoke, removing his exit and leaving him in darkness.

He reached into his pocket for his wand, only to come up empty handed.

"What?" He said aloud to the empty darkness.

As if his words had alerted the room, the same blue smoke appeared in front of him, presenting a small hand lantern atop a plain wooden table. Upon taking the lantern, the table reverted back to its blue smokey form, and a similarly simple wooden door appeared at the end of the hall.

He had seen his 'kindred spirit' venture into her shop only a minute ago and he wondered if he would be able to catch up to her. Upon pushing the door open, he found his wish granted. She stood by herself in the middle of a large foyer, looking up at a grand staircase. 

At first he was taken aback at the sheer grandness of the home, not to mention the fact that it was in the cellar of Vesters and Venum. The house was lavishly decorated, from the carved wood banisters, to the ornate chandelier above them. Although it was not as luxurious as Gaunt Manor, it was still a much larger house than he had ever lived in.

She hadn't seemed to notice him as he came into the room behind her and quietly made his way towards to her. He snuck up behind her with every intention of giving her a fright, but as he got closer something seemed off. 

He gingerly stretched a hand out, placing it on her shoulder.

"Hey. You okay?" He asked as he moved to her side, attempting to get a glimpse of her face. He wasn't sure what he had expected to see, but the abject terror in her eyes was not it.

It seemed as if she had been frozen in place, but the sudden sound of a voice caused her to snap out of it, and into something else. 

"I... I cant be here." She quietly muttered to herself, as she staring unblinkingly at the staircase before her. "I shouldn't be here."

The lantern in her hand starting to rattle as a shaky panic took over her senses. 

"I shouldn't be here." She continued, her voice progressively getting louder as she spoke. "I need to get out! I cant be in here!"

She began to pace in front of him, her free hand grasping at the roots of her hair as her breaths became shallow and erratic. Her gaze looking down at the floor in front of her as her eyes darted back and forth, as if she was searching her mind for an answer she would never find.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! You need to try and relax." He said grabbing her by the arms, forcing her to face him and stop her pacing. "I don't know what's got you so upset, but its going to be okay."

"No it won't! I'll never be able to make it okay!" She said in her panic, a distant look in her eyes, as if she was looking straight through him.

They had fought goblins, dark wizards, and even inferi together, but he had never seen her this worked up, never seen her this scared.

"Hey, just look at me. Focus on me." He directed, as he bent his head down trying to catch her gaze. Her eyes snapped up, and fixed onto his. "Just breathe. In..." He inhaled exaggeratedly as if to demonstrate for her, then did the same with the exhale. "...and out." 

She attempted to follow along, keeping time with him, but her breath wavered as she did. But he was just glad she was trying.

After a minute she stopped vibrating under his fingers as the shaking in her limbs seemed to subsides, and her breathing returned to normal.