12 - Revelations and Recovery

(Warning: Blood)

Sebastian's POV

They had both been too busy screaming at one another to notice the danger heading towards them. It wasn't until Anne called out that Sebastian realized that the shouting coming from the crowd around them wasn't cheering, but screaming.

Sebastian's attention moved quickly to the pitch, only to be faced with the speeding bludger coming straight towards them. By the time he put two and two together, it was too late. And even if he'd managed to get his wand out fast enough, it was too close to do any good.

She had turn to look at Anne rather, than the pitch and must not have seen it coming, because the bludger hit her square in the side of the head. The cracking sound from the impact made his stomach churn.

Several screams erupted from the the students around them, and what was once rally cries had changed to tears. She went down like a sack of bricks, her limbs suddenly loosing all strength and ability to hold herself upright. Some students backed away as she fell, but Sebastian felt himself lunged forward, arms out stretched.

He found a brief moment of solace as he caught her inches above the ground, her head narrowly missed the wood of the bleachers behind them. Though he'd saved her from a secondary strike to the head, his relief was short lived when he looked down at her. Her head lolled back, eyes fluttered closed and unresponsive.

"Hey! Can you hear me?" He asked, attempting to contain the panic in his voice, as he knelt down with her. "Hey! Open your eyes!"

She didn't answer. She didn't move. She simply lay there, her arm splayed out at odd angles as he cradled her limp body. In his hysteria, he wasn't even sure if she was breathing.

"No, no, no." He quietly whimpered to himself, sure he was now holding the body of another person he'd been helpless to save. The world began to move in slow motion and a sort of tunnel vision took over, not allowing him to see anything but her. The strange heat of an oncoming panic attack rose in his chest. His breath quickened, and an odd ringing in his ears seemed to muffle the sounds around him. 

"Se.... Sebas.... Sebastian!" Anne yelled, as she clasped a firm hand on his shoulder, her voice braking through the haze in his mind and snapping him back to reality. "We need to get her to the hospital wing!"

He opened his mouth to speak but his throat was so tight and dry. He couldn't force the words to present themselves, so he just nodded.

Once back in his own body he realized he could still see a faint movement in her chest. The small almost undetectable motion sent the largest rush of relief through him. If she could fight to hold onto life, he could fight to hold on to his own small sliver of hope.

With one arm under her knees and the other around her back, he gingerly got to his feet, hoisting her up with him.

Anne and Ominis cleared a path through the students, as they made their way down the stadium stairs, and out into the castle grounds.

"Don't worry Sebastian, she's going to be alright." Ominis said in a voice not to dissimilar to that of one used to calm a child.

"Ominis is right," Anne soothed, placing a hand on the back of his green Slytherin sweater, as she jogged to keep pace with him. "I'm sure she will be just fine."

"I'll go get the head master and meet you in the hospital wing." Ominis said to Anne, shifting his tone, sounding very procedural, before veering to the left on a more direct route to the headmasters office.

Sebastian couldn't deny the pounding in his chest as he thought about how hurt she might truly be. But it didn't compare to the heart wrenching ache that came with the thought of losing her. What he couldn't understand was why Anne and Ominis were trying so hard to console him. Weren't they both just as upset? She was their friend too. Weren't they just as scared of losing her? How were they being so calm?