19 - Sharp's Stores (pt1)

Though the seats weren't assigned, Sebastian and I often sat at the same spot every morning. Upon entering the seventh-year greenhouse, I made for a stool opposite the large dirt table rather than taking my normal place next to him.

If I was going to be in this humid greenhouse half an hour early, I would at least make use of my time. As I opted to read my Herbology text, I heard Sebastian take up his normal seat and, seemingly mirroring my choice, took out a book of his own.

He was being pleasantly silent for once, so ten minutes into our impromptu study session, I chanced a glance up at him. My stomach leaped into my chest when I found him already staring back at me from over the edge of the small book he held in one hand.

I immediately forced my attention back to my text with a newfound determination to completely ignore him for the rest of the day.

About five minutes later, I felt that small tingling sensation of eyes upon me, and I lost against the urge to glance up at him. Once again, I came to find my gaze met with his, and I wasn't entirely sure he'd looked away in the first place. That same look of sly amusement dancing in his eyes.

With a sigh of self-annoyance, I closed my book, resting it on the table before me. He let his wrist go limp in turn, allowing the book in his hand to fall forward, seemingly waiting for me to speak.

"What's really going on-?" 'On between us,' I would have finished had I been allowed to, but my words were cut short by Samantha Dale and Adelaide Oakes's laughter as they walked into the greenhouse. The rest of our class quickly followed behind them, but Samantha pounced on the opportunity to take my empty seat next to Sebastian. 

I'd hoped that Ominis would take the seat next to him rather than me, but I should have known better than to think Samantha wouldn't jump at the chance to be near Sebastian.

She was glued to his side for the rest of the day, doing different things to dangle him in front of me at every possible opportunity.

On our way from one class to another, she glanced behind them, making full eye contact with me before linking her arm with his.

My eyes have never rolled harder as he let her take his arm.

At one point during the third period, she let out an unnecessarily loud laugh, causing a few people, myself included, to look over at them. I caught her side-eyeing me as she moved to rest a hand on his upper arm and continued to laugh, clearly enjoying the look of annoyance on my face.

I was thankful when the bells chimed, denoting that we leave for our final class of the day and I quickly collected my books to head for the door.

Sebastian and Samatha had stopped in the hall just outside, where I was close enough to catch the tail end of their conversation.

"Meet you in Central Hall after dinner, then?" Sebastian confirmed.

"It's a date!" Samantha said loudly, ensuring I heard her before she skipped away towards her next class. A class, thankfully, neither Sebastian nor I shared with her.

Sebastian turned to face me with a smug smile, while I shot him an unimpressed look in return.

"Hypocrite." I said under my breath as I rolled my eyes and briskly moved down the hall toward Beasts class.

---------------

It was nice to have a class outside, even if it was nearly freezing now as we entered mid-November. 

As I approached the small shelter near the quidditch field I spotted Poppy, already waiting at our normal table. I was still a few meters away, but I could tell she was noticeably vibrating. I'd almost forgotten my promise to tell her the details of my date with Lawrence.