16 - Clocks and Kisses

Author note: I just wanted to give a big thank you to all the people who have sent me encouraging words over the last while as I write this story. You are seen and appreciated. And to those who are just here for the read, thank you too. <3

---------------

"Ouch." I exclaimed as I recoiled from the elbow Poppy has just swiftly jabbed into my side before noticing Professor Howin's gaze in my direction. The look on Poppy's face told me that Professor Howin had called on me, and I hadn't been fully paying attention.

"Sorry Professor." I said apologetically, knowing full well I had no real excuse as to why I wasn't paying attention. I couldn't exactly tell her 'Sorry Professor I was just mentally planning a heist for tomorrow night.'

"Well perhaps cleaning out the Kneazle pen after class will help you focus in future. Hm?" She scolded before going back to her lesson on Zouwu. 

"Yes Professor." I agreed before she moved to ask Poppy her question. 

Poppy had once called her tough but fair, and I suppose I couldn't disagree with her. Professor Howin could have deducted house points and called it a day, but this seemed to be her form of mercy.

Shortly after, the bell denoting the end of the school day rang through the grounds and Poppy handed me a pitch fork.

"I'm on Mooncalf duty today. I'll help you with yours if you help with mine?" She offered and I happily agreed as we made our way towards the pens. 

"We need to find you a date for the ball soon, or else all the half decent boys will be gone." Poppy said opening the gate to the Kneazle pen and made her way in, stopping to pat Persephone.

"Me? What about you?"

"I've already got a date." She said, holding her head high, her chest puffing slightly with pride.

"Its only been a few weeks since they announced it." I protested. "Who are you going with? And why am I only hearing about your date now?"

"One, I only asked him last period, so you can be pleased that you're the first to know. And two, its Garreth!"

"No!"

"Yes!" She said extatically, followed by a girlish squeal.

I had suspected Poppy started to have feelings for Garreth last year, but it had only really been confirmed by her attitude towards him during the Halloween bonfire. The smile she couldn't stop from taking over her face when he showed up really gave her away, and she finally admitted it to me on the trek home that night.

"I'm so happy for you two. What do you think my chances of going with Sebastian are?" I said trying to sound nonchalant, but we both knew it was for my own pride and not my trying to keep my feelings hidden from her.

"Slim and none, but only because he's already going with Samantha Dale."

Of course he is. Why would I think any differently. Almost every time we 'ran into' each other on my alternate routes she was glued to his side, or maybe he was glued to hers. Either way it still hurt.

"Did she ask him or did he ask her?" I asked swallowing hard, not fully sure I wanted to know the answer.

"No idea, but forget him. We really need to find you someone new." Poppy said as we shoveled the last of the pen into a near by wheel barrow.

"Sorry I'm late Poppy!" Came the slightly out of breath voice of Lawrence Davies as he ran towards the Mooncalf pen. "I got caught up with Professor Weasley, and you know how she can talk. Oh, hey." He said jovially, finally noticing Poppy hadn't been alone.