6 - Sebastian's Surprise (pt2)

We got back to the school grounds just as the familiar bells of the clock tower struck, marking the end of lunch and the start of afternoon classes.

"Meet me outside the common room at 5:45 okay?" He requested as we touched down in the nearly empty transfiguration court yard, and Sebastian hopped off his 'borrowed' school broom.

"Sure, but wouldn't it be easier to meet up in the Great Hall for dinner at 6?" I asked, dismounting just behind him.

"We aren't going to dinner."

"What do you mean 'we aren't going to dinner'?" I asked puzzled as he gestured for me to give him my broom.

"I cant tell you too much more, or Anne might kill me." He said as he backed away from me towards the central hall doors.

"Another surprise? I thought our field trip today was my surprise."

"That was just from me. This one may have a few more people involved." He said with a sly smile, clearly reveling in the knowledge he had that I didn't. "Now you get to class. I'll run down and get our transfiguration books."

And with that he took off into the school, while I made my way to transfigurations, hoping I could stall long enough to ensure his late arrival went unnoticed.

---------------

We were supposed to be transfiguring pigs into rocking chairs today, but I was having a difficult time concentrating on the task at hand. By the time Sebastian arrived with our books the only seat left in class was the one directly across from me at the other end of the room. After our outing if I wasn't thinking about him, I was looking at him. It also didn't help that every time I chanced a glance at him, I came to find he was already looking up at me. This was usually followed by an exchange of silly faces being made covertly at one another from across the classroom.

Transfigurations was supposed to be the most difficult class, but personally, I found not smiling like an idiot every time our eyes met was even harder.

By the end of the lesson only a few students were able to change their pig into something resembling a chair. I had somehow managed to transfigure mine into a pig shaped rocking horse, which caused a few students, including Sebastian, to laugh. Unfortunately, this also resulted in Professor Weasley assigning me some extra homework, but I'd take more homework to hear his laugh any day.

When class was over we parted ways. Both having different subjects in our first and last classes on Mondays, I headed up to the Divinations tower.

Not having Sebastian readily available to inadvertently distract me meant I was able to focus a bit more in class. My mind was still in that field most of the lesson, but I was at least able to focus a little more. We were continuing with palm reading today, and I had been paired with Garreth again. I had been paired with Garreth for most of the partnered assignments, and lucky for me I only found Garreth's attempts at comedic relief mildly distracting. He was a great friend, but his attempts at comedy cause more 'uncontrollable eye rolls', than 'uncontrollable laughter'.  

As much as I enjoyed the class and didn't doubt Professor Onai's talent, I wasn't all too sure Garreth and I had 'the sight'. My reading for him predicted a success in an experimental pursuit, which he was quite pleased to hear. He had been trying to perfect his Fizzing Whiz-beer recipe since fifth year, and I supposed he hoped this meant he would.

When he read my palm, he saw the death of a mentor, but I was pretty sure his prediction for me was a few years too late. I didn't feel much like telling him that, but I think my face did that for me.

It had been almost a year and a half since Professor Fig had died, but it felt like yesterday. Sometimes, when I closed my eyes I could still see his face as I let him die, and he was often in my dreams. It didn't help my magically induced sleepless nights, but at least in my nightmares he was still alive. I obviously still wasn't over it.