𝟬𝟬𝟱 just pawns in a god's game

Magsimula sa umpisa

     When Luke returned from his quest, he wasn't in the best shape. Feyre would never forget the day he came into camp, a large gash carved into the side of his face where the dragon, Ladon, had attacked him while he tried to retrieve the golden apple from the Garden of the Hespirides. She was panicked as she brought Luke into the infirmary and took care of his wound. He didn't speak about what had happened at first, but opened up to her overtime about his experience in the Garden. Luke was different after that. He put on a good enough facade for everyone else, but Feyre knew his quest with no glory in return had changed him.

That was when Feyre Blanchard realised a hero's quest was no privilege. It was a dangerous path — and a death sentence for many.

At the end of the day while quests may have offered eternal glory for those who were successful, it always came at a terrible sacrifice. Demigod children were sent away to fight their parents battles, fighting monsters and other entities of a higher power, and while they were rewarded if they managed to maintain their survival, the invisible scars of inescapable trauma would forever remain. Feyre learned that was what the gods stood for — abandoning their children the second they were born, and then sending them to fight a battle they didn't have the guts to fight themselves.

     So when Chiron asked her and many other demigod children to convene together as Percy Jackson — the son of the sea god, Poseidon, will be sent to retrieve Zeus's stolen master bolt from the Underworld — Feyre was far from thrilled about the news. She was even a little angry. Percy had only been at camp for a few days, and at the mere age of twelve, he was being tasked to go on a dangerous quest across the country to prevent a civil war amongst the gods. Once again, the fate of their world was being forced onto the shoulders of another child when it shouldn't be his burden to bare in the first place.

     But when you are the forbidden child of Poseidon, who has been accused of stealing the bolt, Percy wasn't given much choice other than to accept this quest.

     Feyre Blanchard stood in between her sisters, Alina Sinclair and Delia Cromwell, watching as Percy along with Chiron and Mr. D (otherwise known as the Greek God, Dionysus). Her sisters, herself, and other demigods children who showed promise and a range of useful skills stood around together, waiting for Percy's answer. Like any other quest, Percy would have to choose three quest-mates to accompany him. Feyre believed she would be one of the three chosen. She had welcomed Percy with open arms when he arrived at camp. She would even consider herself his friend. It was apparent he would want companions who he could trust.

     So Feyre knew she had to prepare herself to leave camp and put her life at risk if chosen. But she knew it was better if it was her than her sisters. At least they would be safe back at camp.

     "The Oracle has confirmed what we expected, that this quest will proceed toward the Underworld, where you will confront the god who has rebelled against his brothers, Hades," Chiron announced, the mere mention of the king of the Underworld sending chills up and down Feyre's spine. "The entrance to Hades's domain lies under the city of Los Angeles. This is where you will journey to," The centaur elaborated, staring down at Percy for a moment.

     Feyre rolled back her shoulders, a shaky breath leaving her quivering lips. The thought of venturing off deep into the Underworld left a bitter taste on the tip of her tongue. To go up against trials and tribulations deep in the darkest and most dangerous parts of their world, and fight against monsters, and fight more of them than ever because travelling with a forbidden child would put a target on her back, scared Feyre. It was goddamn terrifying. A quest this important could not afford to make any mistakes. One wrong move and that could mean the end of peace amongst the gods. A burden she didn't know if she was ready to carry just yet.