Ch. 8: The Date

Meredith's POV:

I was sitting in the Aphrodite cabin with Haley and Ellie getting ready.

"Are you sure about this date?" Ellie asked.

"Positive," I say trying to sound sure. "But it's not a date Elle. Its not like he's my boyfriend or anything."

"Rule number 1 in the book of boys," Ellie says looking me straight in the eye. "All dates are official, whether the boy knows it or not." I just roll my eyes at her.

"What about Charlie? Did you tell him?" Haley asks. Haley was one of my best friends; she was a daughter of Aphrodite with long straight blond hair and green eyes.

"Yes..." I say looking down.

"What did he say?" Ellie asks.

"It was just a whole lot of awkward," I say. "He just say oh and then we sat there silently a while until he said he had to go. I said sorry I guess, but I don't know why I'm sorry. He's the one who left..."

"Let's worry about this another time! Why don't we get you all dolled up for your date and worry about Charlie later," Haley said clapping her hands and I was grateful to her for trying to change the topic.

"It's not a date!" I protested.

In the next hour Haley and Ellie had me dressed in a dark blue skater skirt and a floral top. They had my hair in a plain ponytail.

"Perfect! Oh how my little girl has grown up!" Ellie says wiping a fake tear.

"I'm older than you," I say laughing.

"She's right though," I hear a voice say from the doorway. I turn to see my mom smiling at me.

"Mom!" I say running to hug her. "What are you doing here?" I ask her.

"Did you really think that your grandmother wouldn't know you had a date," She says smirking.

"Well, I didn't think you would drive all the way here," I say smiling.

"I'm not going to miss this. I'm so happy Charlie finally..." She stopped when she saw Ellie and Haley mouthing stop and waving their hands like crazy people. When I turned around they pretended to be casually swatting a fly.

"Actually it's not Charlie Mom, I'm going on a date with...someone else," My mom looked confused, "His name is Alex."

"You mean that boy you did a project with for school?" Mom said.

"Yeah," I said nodding my head.

"Oh...ok...Boooooooooooo," Yes, my mother just boooed.

"Mrs. Piper.....?" Ellie asked questioningly.

"Look, Meredith, if you really like this boy then fine, go on a date with him. Just remember this, your father and I went through a couple ups and downs but hey, we ended up together. People make mistakes, boys are idiots, and as far as I know, Charlie has only made one that's made you upset," Mom said before walking out.

"Mother knows best," Ellie said. I just sighed.

Later that Night...

Argus was driving me to the movies where I was supposed to meet Alex. When we arrived Alex was waiting outside with a single flower in hand, a rose. My favorites were lilies. Charlie knew that. But nevermind.

I got our of the car and thanked Argus. I waved at Alex and he smiled at me.

"Hey," he said handing me the rose.