𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

INNOVATION -
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

INNOVATION -CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

⚘ FLAMES OF BETRAYAL ⚘

"Kalisa, you need to let him go." Jeff's voice sounded far away, even though he was on the other side of Newt's limp body.

    "I'm not leaving him." Kalisa said firmly. All around them was chaos. Thomas had only just run after Gally, Minho was nowhere to be found, Gladers were crying, arguing, someone threw up. It was a disaster.

    Their Homestead was left in ruins from the Griever and Gally. Planks were torn loose, the windows were smashed in. Half a wall was missing allowing Kalisa to partially see the Glade around them.

    It had to be nearly morning now. It felt like they had been trapped in here for hours. They couldn't handle another attack.

    "We need to treat his injuries. I promise as soon as we patch him up, he's all yours. But for now... just give us some space to work." Clint added, checking Newts pulse while he talked.

    The idea of leaving Newt right now made her stomach heave. But she knew the Med-jacks were right. If Newt was going to recover then she needed to allow them to do their jobs.

    Her bones felt hollow as she stood from the floor, eyes never leaving Newt. "Be careful with him. Please." She said as Clint and Jeff began to assess the damage done.

    "Don't worry. He'll be fine." Jeff nodded at her.

    Kalisa had to respect the two for doing their job after what had just commenced. Everyone was in a blank state of shock, moving around aimlessly, jittery with fear.

Well, almost everyone.

Thomas still hadn't returned from wherever he had run off to. Kalisa wouldn't have been surprised if he had decided to chase after the Griever.

"I'll be back." She said to Jeff, who only hummed in response, too focused on cleaning the blood on Newt's face.

He looked so weak and pale, laying there on the blanket. A thin sweat had formed over his face, his eyes were shut and his mouth was slightly parted, only ragged breaths entering.

He'll be fine.

Kalisa repeated to herself. She needed to have faith in Clint and Jeff. They would help him. For now, she needed to find Thomas and get the Glade back in order.