𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

INNOVATION -
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

INNOVATION - CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

⚘ HIDDEN IN THE HOMESTEAD ⚘

It didn't feel real, the way the Glade was illuminated by the ceiling, the way all the Gladers were huddled together in the Homestead, practically sleeping on top of each other.

    Nobody talked, but it didn't take a voice to know what was running through the boys heads.

    They were going to die.

    It was a somber thought, but that didn't make it less true.

    All the boys had been evenly divided by the Keepers and placed into the bedrooms. Kalisa had ended up in Newt's room along with Minho, Thomas, Alby, and of course the accented boy.

    It felt weird to her that boys were sleeping in her room at the very moment. That was her room. She had been living in there for the past few months, and now some slintheads were rubbing their dirty hands all over her stuff.

    But she didn't complain. They had bigger issues after all.

    "Closest I've come so far," Newt grumbled, leaning against the wall as they sat on the bed. "To hangin' it all up. Shuck it all and kiss a Griever goodnight. Supplies cut, bloody gray skies, walls not closing."

    "But we can't give up." He continued, looking at all of them. Kalisa sat next to Newt on his bed, Alby on the other side of her. Thomas and Minho pulled up chairs in front of them to be apart of the conversation.

    "Wicked either want us dead or they're givin' us a spur. This or that, we gotta work our asses off till we're dead or not dead." Newt finished his speech.

    Kalisa nodded in agreement. They had known for a while now that the end was here. They weren't getting out of this unscathed, so they could either sit around and cry, or fight for their freedom.

    The choice was an easy one.

    "Alby, you gonna pitch in?" Newt glanced over at the abnormally quiet leader, who was staring holes into the floor.

    "Huh?" Alby looked up, snapping out of his daze. "Oh, yeah. Good that. But you've seen what happens at night. Just because Greenie the freaking superboy made it doesn't mean the rest of us can."

    "Thats the spirit," Kalisa muttered sarcastically. Only Newt heard, he sent her a small grin.

    "I'm with Newt. We gotta quit boohooing and feeling sorry for ourselves." Minho sat forward, excitement in his eyes. "Tomorrow morning. First thing you guys can assign teams to study the Maps full time while the Runners go out. We'll pack our stuff shuck-full so we can stay out there a few days."