XV

☠︎

"Impertinence? What kind of-", but it dawns on Percy before he can finish his sentence. His face falls, "Medusa's head".

"I embarrassed my mother", Annabeth admits, Morana clenching her teeth in anger. "But, I'm the one who sent the head to Olympus", Percy states out the obvious. "I signed the note!"

"And I went along with it!" Annabeth talks over him, making them all shut up. "It embarrassed her. Now she's angry", Annabeth states, Morana huffing, "Some mother she is".

And to Morana's surprise, Annabeth doesn't give her one of her famous annoyed and disapproving looks, but just looks down. 

"Guys what are we gonna do?" Grover asks. "She isn't gonna help us when we get to the top to save Percy", Annabeth states. 

"No I meant what are we gonna do about Echidna and Chimera!?" Grover exclaims, "They're gonna be right behind us!"

The elevator makes a bling sound when they arrive at the top and they walk out, Morana following Annabeth and helping Percy up after he slams against the railing.

"We aren't gonna have much time", Annabeth says, "They'll be up here any minute".

"And if my mother isn't going to protect us, then we'll just have to fight it out up here", Annabeth mumbles the last part to herself but they all hear it. Percy pants, leaning on the railing for extra support now that the pain is back on full power. Grover is under his other arm, Morana walking behind them to catch them if they fall. 

Annabeth stops at the top, looking ahead. 

Mortals. 

The whole arch is full of innocent students, peering out of the windows excitedly, chatting among each other. "Oh, no", Grover breathes.

"We gotta get everybody outta here", the satyr presses, Morana looking around for something when the fire alarm starts blaring. 

Morana tries to find Annabeth, only to see her by the red fire alarm lever. 

"You three, follow them down", Morana says immediately, pushing them forward. "What? No no. We're not splitting up!" Annabeth says at the same time as Grover. 

The latter jumps when Morana's eyes flash dangerously. Percy could swear her eyes glowed with rage for a second. "We're not discussing this. Come on!" Morana presses but this time it's the son of Poseidon who stops her from pushing them.