Chapter 37

I get off the cab, looking at the house in front of me like it's the first time I've ever seen it. Right now, it feels like it rose out of nowhere. I stare at it for a few minutes before a light bulb goes off in my head. I'm here to save Angel. The only one who has ever cared about me. The one who considered me a daughter after her own son passed away. The woman I owe everything I have and ever had to, including Alex and Ace themselves. I'm doing this not for me but for her. For Alex too. And unbelievably enough, for Ace. If something happens to her, he won't stop blaming himself for it. And even though he thinks I'm so disgusted by him that I can't even stand the sight of him, I don't. I still care about him; I just can't let it show. Because honestly, I don't know how to get past the fact that he'd been the reason I lost my first love, my best friend (well, the one who pretended to be my friend), my social rank, my charm, my shine, my entire life as I knew it. That's a lot to forget; even if it came from the person I love the most. You knew his dad was fucked up, Eternity, what's your problem with Ace? He only did what was asked of him; you didn't even give him a chance to explain himself. I push the small voice interrogating me to the back of my head and focus on the task at hand.

I glance at my watch.

9:30

I still have time to come up with a plan to stop this fire.I tug on my jacket, trying to find comfort in its warmth, but, no, that's not the reason I'm uncomfortable. Why I feel out of place. The reason is that I'm missing Ace. Not in the I-love-you way but in the I've-always-done-this-with-him sense. Or so you tell yourself. "Oh, shut up, stupid brain," I huff as I tuck my bangs behind my ear.

What am I gonna do now? Still 20 minutes till it happens and I have no idea how to stop this mess. Dammit! I shouldn't have relied that much on Ace for coming up with plans! Well, you always failed before him. I did not! I saved Mr. Honeycutt on my own! Yeah and you almost got yourself killed in the process. Ugh! Why do you do this to me!

I wait for Ivy and the others to show up when I hear the steps closing in behind me. I shut my eyes tightly for the wave of shivers I get every time I see him lately. "Eternity," his husky voice sends chills down my spine. Focus! "Ace," I nod slightly at his direction. He looks slightly better than the last time I saw him. Guess he's moving on already. He notices the disappointment on my face and takes a step closer. "Eternity, what is..."

"Ace," I say tiredly, "We need a plan, and I can't come up with any."

He looks at me thoughtfully and stays silent. "Please, Ace, this time only. I need to save her. Please." I'm on the verge of crying when he places his hand on my cheek. I'm too startled to slap it away, so I stare at him with confusion.

"Listen, E, thing is..." He looks around as if searching for the right words. "There is no fire."

I feel like he's just slapped me. How can he make fun of me like that! "Oh really? So I was hallucinating my way through the vision? Oh, that explains why I saw Ivy join your damned father to make my life more miserable than it is! Wow! That explains a lot, Ace, thank you!" I realize that my voice is echoing now that nearly everybody in the neighborhood is asleep. But I don't give a fuck. I break free of his grip and ignore all the words he tries to get out of that mouth of his.

"Eternity, wait! No, just please listen! Eternity!"

I'm almost halfway across the street to wait there by my own when a body collapses into mine, knocking me out of breath and down onto the hard concrete. I look up to see who that bulldozer is when I see a familiar face. "Nolan?" I squint at him, not really believing what I'm seeing. Another figure joins him and I instantly recognize her. "Haley, what are you guys doing here?"

"We're here to make you listen, Eternity. You're so damn stubborn that we all had to participate in getting you to listen!" She raises her voice at the last part to make her point come through. "Oh my god, he brought his entire gang," I whisper, turning my head to the side and seeing the house still intact. Maybe Ace was right? But how? You'll figure out if you listen. "Okay, I'll listen." I direct my words at Nolan, raising an eyebrow at him when he doesn't get off me. "Please get him off me." I plead, this time directing my words to Haley.