1.3: KINGDOM OF THE FORSAKEN.

——-—
"Does God not work wonders? Even in the dark covens of conspiracy, He will raise a man to speak peace on our behalf." ...... Unknown source.
—-——

"It's okay. Breathe. Breathe, Elia." Her Guardian, assured her behind closed doors. She continued pacing, hands in her hair. "I can't breathe, Luce! So many things could go wrong. What if I mess up the test?"

"You can't mess up a test, Elia. This challenge is nothing on what you're capable of." She faced him with a sharp look. "And what am I capable of? Destruction? Carnage? You don't understand this! I nearly lost control this morning with the Instructor. I was one second away from summoning a Daimon. From unleashing darkness. There is no way, I can ever join Illumina. Once they find out—"

"It will be fine. I promise you."

"So I'm just supposed to go in there, hanging on your promise, and make a fool of myself?"

"Don't be an idiot." Luciel finally snapped. Elia finally understood the hypnosis of his beautiful voice. It was heavenly. "Your talisman holds a fragment of Neriah's light. Keep that necklace on you at all times."

"You mean I can channel her raw power through this amulet?" Elia fiddled with its dark greyish crystal. "Isn't channeling illegal? I read a journal that said siphoning was pure witchcraft. Sorcery. It's wrong."

"Siphoning becomes sorcery when you channel through black magic and the dark arts. Your channel will be from celestial light and by default, legal and binding to the Edict of nature and balance. Now, go out there and ace your test."

"Wait, Luciel. I have a question."

He almost looked wary. "Go ahead."

"Channelling from my mother means drawing on her strength, right? What if she might be weakened?"

The look on his face was not encouraging. "Let us hope she isn't. Now go and wing it." Elia sighed. "This is not over Luciel. I have a lot of words to say. After the test."

He nodded grimly. "I will tell you what I can. After the test. God be with you."

She reached for the doorknob. "And also with you." The door clicked shut behind her.

------

"Neriah? Neriah open your eyes." A whisper in the darkness pulled at her. On instinct, her eyes squeezed shut. It was her body's immune response to the pain shredding through her core. "Open your eyes." The hands smoothening her sweat slicked hair were infinitely gentle. "The pain will lessen once you waken."

A low pulse beat against hers. Warm and light. It was a pulse she felt before. Her eyes opened.

A scream built up in her throat when she saw the shadowed hands pinning her to the silken bedspread. Amber eyes flashed in the darkness. "Don't scream. Don't scream. You aren't meant to be conscious." She gulped. "Release me. Please." Her voice was raspy, her throat raw and itchy. Hesitantly, the shadow allowed her to lie back down.

"What happened to me? Where am I? And you.... you are not Lucifer." A slight rustle breezed through the far corner of the room. "You were daggered. Do you remember why?"

She raised her darkened hands. They were covered in soot. "I wielded light in the Court of Shadows. Is that where we are? And where is Lucifer?"