1.0: THE WATCHERS

_______

“Son of man, speak to your people and say to them: ‘When I bring the sword against a land, and the people of the land choose one of their men and make him their watchman,
and he sees the sword coming against the land and blows the trumpet to warn the people,
then if anyone hears the trumpet but does not heed the warning and the sword comes and takes their life, their blood will be on their own head.
Since they heard the sound of the trumpet but did not heed the warning, their blood will be on their own head. If they had heeded the warning, they would have saved themselves.
But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes someone’s life, that person’s life will be taken because of their sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for their blood.’

Ezekiel 33:2-6. Excerpt from Ezekiel, The Holy Book of Faith.
_______

"Commander, you need to see this," The Seers all gasped in unison. The attuned monitors wailed in alarm. "This cannot be. The light signature says it's a burning one. There have been no records of Seraphim in this city in over a century." But now there was. The Commander shivered, eyes trained on her Marks which suddenly blazed to life. The Marks she had once shared with only one particular Guardian. "Secure the wards. Whoever it is dealing with far too many Crawlers."

  "Eliam, scan the perimeter and pinpoint the exact location. I'm going in, since none of you can do this." Her eyes glowed in a low amber as she shucked off the light veil over her face. "Where are they?"

  "A few blocks from here, East point." She was off, battle weapons drawn and celestial flame like a wicked arc above her head. "Azar, it could be a trap. With the prophecy, any dark entity could be trying to weaken us. The Nephillim could be behind this." Lieutenant Cassiel warned. Azar's eyes were narrowed pinpricks of fire. "Guard the others, Cassiel. And do not question me."

A sharp whistle broke through the sound barrier and the glass dome like ceiling of the Sanctuary shattered. Somehow, something or someone had bypassed the wards and broke into the Watchtower. Soldiers and trainees flooded into the lowest level, weapons drawn and attunements ready to be unleashed. "What is your name and station?" Someone called out. The soaking being on the floor remained twitching and groaning, a strange light coming from them. No one dared to approach."Creator above, move out of my way!" The Commander strode forward, crouching down to the creature's level.

  "It could be a daimon. What are you doing?" A lieutenant called out, wielding a spear. The Commander faced her target, dark eyes burning in a low amber, hair like flames peeking out through her white hood. One prod and the intruder was exposed. It was a young woman, a child in celestial years, bloodied and battered, barely even breathing. "Get Elora! It's a mortal!" The girl opened her eyes, alarm pausing as she gazed into the Commander's eyes. You, I know you.

  Silence. Those amber eyes seemed to say. The Healers in their yellow robes rushed forward. Their leader was quick and efficient, using her attunement to stop any internal bleeding and fix shattered bones. "Crawlies....." The mortal groaned. She cried as her collarbone was snapped in place, muttering under her breath. "She's in shock, Psyche, calm her down."

  A distant howl echoed in the Watchtower. Cassiel cursed, eyes wide in panic. "What is that on her neck?" The talisman pulsed twice in a dark, otherworldly color. "Commander —"  Azar seethed, inspecting the offending necklace. It scorched her hands, wholly incompatible with her fiery affinity. "I don't understand what this is." The whole assembly gawked. "But you know everything."